• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PSA- the pointy end of a sharp skew is sharp

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
Not advisable to grab for it when you have a catch and it bounces.

No stitches needed (or, at least, not planning on any - butterfly closure if that), but in a bad spot on my palm. Just below the space between my pinky and ring finger on my right hand. Except for writing, just about everything else I use my right hand for. Have a bandaid (not doing much) and a nitrile glove on that hand until I can get in the house and properly clean and dress it.

So...how was YOUR day in the shop? :cool:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Glad you are not seriously hurt.

Brings back a fond memory

Teaching an ornament class decide to point something out with my finger while the other hand is holding the skew on the tool rest.
Bring finger back across the tip of the skew.
Excuse myself and wrap finger with a paper towel before it started to bleed.
Finish the demo of the ornament finial with the paper towel wrapped tight.
While the students go back to their lathes I grab a bandaid from the first aid kit.
Students never knew I cut myself…

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
Glad you are not seriously hurt.

Brings back a fond memory

Teaching an ornament class decide to point something out with my finger while the other hand is holding the skew on the tool rest.
Bring finger back across the tip of the skew.
Excuse myself and wrap finger with a paper towel before it started to bleed.
Finish the demo of the ornament finial with the paper towel wrapped tight.
While the students go back to their lathes I grab a bandaid from the first aid kit.
Students never knew I cut myself…
Thanks. Nice job covering your injury :)

This would have been noticeable. It was bleeding by the time I pulled my hand away. Because of location, I could not just bandaid it, either - at least, not in a way it would stick. I put some antibiotic cream on it, put a bandaid over that, then wrapped my hand in some painters tape (because it was the most handy). That worked until I realized I could just put a glove on it - which I would need to do anyway to finish the weedpot I was working on at the time. Now it has a knuckle bandage on it. Works perfectly. I also need to stop tomorrow and get more knuckle bandages - probably 2 boxes so I can keep one in the shop (surprised I didn't have any in the new first aid kit out there - I should probably go through that and see what I have and supplement it).

Attachments

• 20220612_202053.jpg
    20220612_202053.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 6
I have band aids all over the shop. My skin has gotten thin to the point where if I look at some thing wrong, my skin tears and I bleed...... Old age ain't for sissies! Having a full on med kit might not be a bad idea either...

robo hippy

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I have band aids all over the shop. My skin has gotten thin to the point where if I look at some thing wrong, my skin tears and I bleed...... Old age ain't for sissies! Having a full on med kit might not be a bad idea either...

robo hippy
You don't know what old age is ..... yet!!!

robo hippy
Glad you're mostly okay Tim!!

@robo hippy I used to have them all over--found that on the lawnmower cutting deck is not a good place to store a new box of band-aids. Makes a weird noise when the blades detonate the box that vibrates off, and a spectacular confetti. Surprisingly, despite the ripped wrappers, they were mostly intact, and last long enough to get me into the house for a real clean-up. Wish i had a video of that day!!
earl
PS--I, too, wish i could remember why i put that box on the mower deck. As soon as i figured out it was band-aids, i remembered putting the box down, but no clue why!!

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
Glad you're mostly okay Tim!!

@robo hippy I used to have them all over--found that on the lawnmower cutting deck is not a good place to store a new box of band-aids. Makes a weird noise when the blades detonate the box that vibrates off, and a spectacular confetti. Surprisingly, despite the ripped wrappers, they were mostly intact, and last long enough to get me into the house for a real clean-up. Wish i had a video of that day!!
earl
PS--I, too, wish i could remember why i put that box on the mower deck. As soon as i figured out it was band-aids, i remembered putting the box down, but no clue why!!
If you are anything like me, your brain went something like 'Oh, bandaids. I need to take them to <place>. I'll set them in this convenient spot so I will remember to put them where they need to go'. That thought, was likely immediately followed by 'Squirrel!' and all memory of the original thought completely deleted.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
When ever I drop a tool my first reaction is to jump out of the way and if it is a skew Murphy's Law makes sure it lands on the point.
In this case, it wasn't so much a drop as it was a bounce - a catch caused the skew to jump. Why I moved to catch it is beyond me. Sometimes we do things that, when we look back on them, we tell ourselves "that was pretty stupid, knucklehead. Don't do that again!". This, for me, was one of those times.

I do agree, though, Mr. Murphy does make sure the tool, when dropped, will generally require some quality time on the grinder. Unless it's carbide - in which case you simply remove the broken carbide cutter and replace it :)

Back