• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Randall Runion

My name is Randall Runion and I live in the Northwestern corner of South Carolina and have recently retired. We have a new garage which will be a small office space for me and an Amateur Radio shack for me (N4LCV) and the rest will be a woodworking shop. I have an old Craftsman lathe that I have used for pen making. There is something very relaxing for me about lathe work. I saw a YouTube video recently of a man turning Christmas Tree ornaments. He used jaws to hold the wood in the headstock and was wondering what all I would need to have to get into that? The only turning I have done was with the spur drive in the headstock and a live center in the tailstock or with a spindle for pen making. I also wondered about making ornaments, 2 at the time, in the conventional method of headstock and tailstock. I haven’t done a lot of lathe work and could use all the helpful suggestions I can get.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum.
I encourage everyone to get in touch with a local Chapter. If you have not already done so consider visiting chapter. https://www.woodturner.org/page/Chapters

You may be like I am an hours drive from any chapter. It’s worth it.

General questions about ornaments will get more responses if posted in the “getting started” section
Or the discussion section.
I do 3 types of ornaments. I use a 4 jaw scroll Chuck for all. A Jacobs chuck with drill bits for the bottom two.
I also use the smaller #1 chuck jaws for the finials.
The simplest is a disc of wood that acts as a canvas. 9DFBB635-65CF-4ACB-A7EE-6780393CC597.jpeg516481E8-5CC6-4AE1-BB51-0A32E58B55F7.jpeg
Or a pretty piece of wood can stand on its own ore be brightly colored with dye.

A 3 sided turning with a hole that frames an object Christmas tree, bell, snowman. EtcC239BE12-6BF5-47BF-941F-0F3ED478E63C.jpeg

A hollow ball with top and bottom finial B0A48A60-5E23-4B74-8C11-A90532A14DB1.jpeg

Randall,

There are a number of videos on YouTube that show various methods that wood turners use to make Christmas ornaments. Each year there is a contest between some of the wood turners to make the best ornaments for the year, some of the wood turners make videos showing the process. This videos should help you with the process and give you some ideas to work with.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Randall. I am also a ham, WA5SOE since 1967 and a life member of ARRL. However, I have too many hobbies and amateur radio has taken a back seat to woodturning and photography. I agree with Al that you will get the most responses to your questions if you post them in the Woodturning Discussion Forum or the Getting Started Forum whichever you think is most appropriate.

Welcome. Joining AAW and a local chapter would be a good start. If there isn't a chapter close to you, might be an opportunity to start one. AAW will give full support. BTW, make sure your radio equipment is dust proof. Seems like we have some hams on the forum. I'm more of a pork chop.

Welcome. Answers to the ornament question are varied and there are many ways to get there. I answered you question on chucks with the assumption you want the third type ornament that Al mentioned. Keep turning and keep asking questions to get where you need to go , and join a club plus the AAW.

@Bill Boehme and all this time I thought you were just a big ole sweet potato.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Hi Randall, and welcome to the forum. That's a pretty part of the country where you live. I have a brother over in Rock Hill. I can't offer much in the way of advice on ornaments, but sounds like the replies will have you on your way. Happy turning and, again, welcome!

Back