• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Random old burl

My Aunt gave me a burl. Said she has had it for 20 to 30 years. It's very dry! She says they still have a whole shed full of dry burls from central Alaska. My guess is that it is yellow cedar but I'm not a wood expert. What would you do with this?

burl1.jpgburl2.jpgburl3.jpg

It came from an area southwest of Fairbanks. From what I read, the native trees in interior Alaska are white spruce, black spruce, tamarack, paper birch, quakies, and balsam poplar. Birch, poplar, and white spruce are the main commercial woods. After finding some pics of white spruce burls and a video of someone turning a white spruce burl, I would say that is a strong candidate. Thanks Leo and Don. I will put up some images when I get further into the piece.

I only got my hands on one piece of Alaskan yellow cedar burl. The smell will almost drive you out of the shop it is so strong. I don't think that is actually burl. There is a 'gall' which makes interesting growths on the outsides of trees. It can appear on spruce and maybe juniper, can't remember. I had a friend who used to make bird houses out of them.

robo hippy

I only got my hands on one piece of Alaskan yellow cedar burl. The smell will almost drive you out of the shop it is so strong. I don't think that is actually burl. There is a 'gall' which makes interesting growths on the outsides of trees. It can appear on spruce and maybe juniper, can't remember. I had a friend who used to make bird houses out of them.

robo hippy
Thanks for the info. Looking at the first picture above. This looks like a young tree with a big growth around it. A gall makes sense.

I have always called these burls "Onion Burls" because they do grow similar as a onion with layers, not like the way a normal burl would grow with many growth points, I'll see if I have some pictures that show the difference between these.

OK after lunch and a doctors appointment (will still live for a while they said :cool: ) I'm back.

First a couple burls I turned years ago, from discarded log sections at the loggers marshalling yard.

Hard Maple Burls.jpg

Got these from a video, if you look closely you can see the concentric rings like the layers of a Onion.

Union burl layers.png
the next picture shows the look of a turned Union burl.
Spruce burl bowl.jpg

And for the 4 picture limit rule, I coupled these 2 pictures that show the outside of a Willow burl and the inside as well.

Willow burl inside and outside.jpg

Last edited:
I have always called these burls "Onion Burls" because they do grow similar as a onion with layers, not like the way a normal burl would grow with many growth points, I'll see if I have some pictures that show the difference between these.

OK after lunch and a doctors appointment (will still live for a while they said :cool: ) I'm back.

First a couple burls I turned years ago, from discarded log sections at the loggers marshalling yard.

View attachment 56244

Got these from a video, if you look closely you can see the concentric rings like the layers of a Onion.

View attachment 56246
the next picture shows the look of a turned Union burl.
View attachment 56247

And for the 4 picture limit rule, I coupled these 2 pictures that show the outside of a Willow burl and the inside as well.

View attachment 56248
Here is a white oak onion burl and a plater made from it.
IMG_1418.JPG7008Platter.JPG

Back