• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ray Key Finishing Protocol and depth gauge

I just watched the Ray Key box videos posted by CSUSA. He had an interesting finishing schedule that consisted (as near as I can tell from the videos) of sanding to 400 with some kind of wax as a sanding lubricant (he said it reduced heat and scratch marks), polishing with 0000 steel wool with the same wax as a lubricant, then applying (what I think was) lacquer based sanding sealer on the lathe, using heat to dry it quickly, then cutting back the sheen with 0000 steel wool, then finishing wax over that. Seems like an interesting protocol that I'd like to try. Timestamp link to one instance of the protocol:

View: https://youtu.be/PTZemwWM2mE?si=OfwKZRV1pzYhkTuQ&t=531

Questions:

Does anyone know more about the wax used for sanding lubricant? (He refers to it simply as "paste wax" and the labels of everything are strategically facing away from the camera in the videos).

Is the lacquer product used a sanding sealer?

Anyone have a bead on where to get a depth gauge with a nice wide base like the one shown here?:

View: https://youtu.be/PTZemwWM2mE?si=gDUvnF0h_51cQbS7&t=501

As an interesting aside, I have one of Ray's tools. He taught at Arrowmont so much that he just left a set there, and in 2016 when it became apparent he wouldn't be able to make it back out, he asked Nick Agar to sell them off to the class that was there at the time. I was in that class and picked up a very well worn scraper- a wonderful piece of history and inspiration for me to carry the craft of box-making forward!

Well, I don't really know what the wax is. There are many 'wax' finishes. To me, the best ones would be carnauba of some sort. I use Butchers bowling alley wax, and they have another variation. Kiwi neutral shoe polish is carnauba in turpentine. Carnauba, because it is very hard, needs heat and/or a solvent to get it to spread. I am surprised that he used a lacquer over the paste wax as I would think it would not stick to the wax surface. For the insides of my boxes, I prefer the Bull's Eye lacquer which can be found at almost any big box store. It dries instantly and with pretty much no odor after drying. A couple of coats.

robo hippy

I am surprised that he used a lacquer over the paste wax as I would think it would not stick to the wax surface

Thanks, Reed. That was what was kind of surprising to me too for the same reason so I thought I'd see if it was some kind of special wax or something I didn't know about. I freely admit that finishing is what I know the least about. I have my 2 or 3 things that I like and that work well for me so I thought it would be fun to try something else. Good to know about the Bull's Eye lacquer, I'll maybe give that a try as well.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
IDK, but it kinda looked to me like he was mixing a sort of a polish in-place - mixing the wax and lacquer on the piece - that may be why it works vs something like spraying lacquer over wax. But I really don't know.

The can looks like maybe Yorkshire Grit or Pita's True Grit. I used True Grit because it is cheaper than the Yorkshire. Creates a nice polished surface that can be overcoated with just about anything.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Alright let me jump in....

Here is the depth gauge he used. I use this one for all of my boxes and it works very well.

Also with the finishing process, he uses paste wax as a sanding lubricant but I don't know the brand.

He uses CraftLac Melamine Lacquer for the inside finish. It is not a sanding sealer. They don't make it anymore but here is an alternative.

Also if the wax is buffed well enough, lacquer can be used over it. I do this all the time and NEVER had it peel.

Here is a link on how I explain my process.... read the whole comments section..

Thanks for that lead on the lacquer Gabriel. However the depth gauge he is using is quite different, the base is much wider- take a closer look at the video and you'll see what I mean.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
However the depth gauge he is using is quite different, the base is much wider-
Trent Bosch has a wide based depth gauge so it self squares to the rim.
We all made a similar ones from wood in a Liam O’Neil class in 1994. We put a dowel through one hole for measuring.
Added a short dowel in an off set cross hole with the cove in its center section deep enough to allow the measuring dowel through its hole. This short dowel locks the measuring dowel in place by pushing it on either end until it binds at the edge of the cove.

Last edited:
Thanks, Al and Jim for the recommendation of the Trent Bosch gauge, that does look like a nice one. I'm interested in it not so much for the depth gauge aspect (holding a pencil in there and closing one eye has always worked fine for me), but because it appears to have some potential as an alternate method for checking the paralellism of the lid flange (assuming the rod is square to a base that is long enough to hit both sides of the rim).

Cool, well thanks again for your response Gabriel, it was interesting to read that you too haven't had trouble applying the lacquer over the polish. And yes, I will probably just go with that gauge or similar, but I see something that I can't find and I get curious since usually my Google fu is pretty good!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have several depth gauges that are homemade. You could easily make one using scrap materials you already have.

See post #78 here:

Note: The linked thread also has many other homemade shop tools and gadgets that might interest quite a few new, and even maybe a few seasoned turners! :)

-o-

I am curious what kind of Chuck he was using. Never seen one like that before.
He mentioned in the video that it’s an engineering chuck. These are normally supplied with both inside and outside jaws, he’s using outside jaws in this case. There isn’t much difference between an engineering scroll chuck and a wood turning one. The first scroll chucks sold to wood turners by Axminster tools were actually just engineering chucks with specially designed top jaws.

I think that when Ray Key made those videos, 4-jaw chucks were not available. There were various types of collet chuck in use such as the one that Raffan used and those made by Myford and
Peter Child. However, most were "fiddly" to use and Ray was a production turner.

I think that when Ray Key made those videos, 4-jaw chucks were not available. There were various types of collet chuck in use such as the one that Raffan used and those made by Myford and
Peter Child. However, most were "fiddly" to use and Ray was a production turner.
They were available but no one thought to use them until Axminster in the 1980’s? Engineering chucks have been available with two part jaws for decades so I don’t know why it took so long for someone to make wood gripping jaws before?

I’ve seen more than a few videos shot in the far east of wood turners using standard engineering scroll chucks with “special” jaws welded to them. Some of them were even three jaw versions.

Thanks, Reed. That was what was kind of surprising to me too for the same reason so I thought I'd see if it was some kind of special wax or something I didn't know about. I freely admit that finishing is what I know the least about. I have my 2 or 3 things that I like and that work well for me so I thought it would be fun to try something else. Good to know about the Bull's Eye lacquer, I'll maybe give that a try as well.
Alright let me jump in....

Here is the depth gauge he used. I use this one for all of my boxes and it works very well.

Also with the finishing process, he uses paste wax as a sanding lubricant but I don't know the brand.

He uses CraftLac Melamine Lacquer for the inside finish. It is not a sanding sealer. They don't make it anymore but here is an alternative.

Also if the wax is buffed well enough, lacquer can be used over it. I do this all the time and NEVER had it peel.

Here is a link on how I explain my process.... read the whole comments section..

I've been reluctant to try using paste-wax or Yorkshire Grit as it did not make sense that one could apply a lacquer over it.
I'll have to give it a try as I have a can of Myland's.

I just watched the Ray Key box videos posted by CSUSA. He had an interesting finishing schedule that consisted (as near as I can tell from the videos) of sanding to 400 with some kind of wax as a sanding lubricant (he said it reduced heat and scratch marks), polishing with 0000 steel wool with the same wax as a lubricant, then applying (what I think was) lacquer based sanding sealer on the lathe, using heat to dry it quickly, then cutting back the sheen with 0000 steel wool, then finishing wax over that. Seems like an interesting protocol that I'd like to try. Timestamp link to one instance of the protocol:

Questions:

Does anyone know more about the wax used for sanding lubricant? (He refers to it simply as "paste wax" and the labels of everything are strategically facing away from the camera in the videos).

Anyone have a bead on where to get a depth gauge with a nice wide base like the one shown here?:

As an interesting aside, I have one of Ray's tools. He taught at Arrowmont so much that he just left a set there, and in 2016 when it became apparent he wouldn't be able to make it back out, he asked Nick Agar to sell them off to the class that was there at the time. I was in that class and picked up a very well worn scraper- a wonderful piece of history and inspiration for me to carry the craft of box-making forward!
That wasn't a depth gauge. That was a tool he was using to check that the top 5mm or so was parallel to the axis so that the lid would fit perfectly.
I use the internal jaws of digital calipers for the same reason.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
They were available but no one thought to use them until Axminster in the 1980’s? Engineering chucks have been available with two part jaws for decades so I don’t know why it took so long for someone to make wood gripping jaws before?

I’ve seen more than a few videos shot in the far east of wood turners using standard engineering scroll chucks with “special” jaws welded to them. Some of them were even three jaw versions.
Early on I used a 6" body 3-jaw chuck (Grizzly @ $50) for six years. I then bought a Nova 4-jaw (with tommy bars) when they first became available in the USA (1990?) from Craft Supplies USA. Rarely used the Grizzly after that purchase.

Have you seen this Jimmy Clewes Video? I’ve tried it and he’s right, you can put Lacquer on top of wax!

[
I would think the problem is not application but longevity of the finish. And example is the epoxy finish used by the Moulthrop's in Georgia for years and it is now beginning to fail. Another factor also is the elasticity of the lacquer used.

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com

Questions:

A somewhat similar depth gage comes in the Harbor Freight measuring set. https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-technical-measuring-set-94447.html?_br_psugg_q=measuring+set It is one of my favorite tools for box making.

Back