• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Record Power Coronet Herald needs Drill Chuck

Greetings, all, relatively new turner, just upgraded from my WEN mini with a Record Power midi. Now trying to get all the necessary 'add-ons' to get turning again .. my Nova chuck for the WEN doesn't fit the new lathe .. different spindle thread size. So I got a new Record chuck, which is actually compatible with the Nova parts.

I wanted to turn a tool handle this week and realized that I need a new drill chuck for the tail to drill out the tool hole. I ordered a Nova 1/2" drill chuck, but when I tried to attach it, I find that the chuck shaft is too long (3"). The chuck won't go in all the way to seat the #2 MT.

Edited to add: I can fit the chuck if I turn the tailstock in an inch or so, then it fits, but then I lose that much space. Is that just the way it is?

Anyone out there with a Record Power Coronet Herald that can point me to a drill chuck for this lathe? Or, is there something I'm missing in attaching the chuck into the tail?
Thank-you,
Tom

Last edited:
Edited to add: I can fit the chuck if I turn the tailstock in an inch or so, then it fits, but then I lose that much space. Is that just the way it is?

Anyone out there with a Record Power Coronet Herald that can point me to a drill chuck for this lathe? Or, is there something I'm missing in attaching the chuck into the tail?
Thank-you,
Tom
My drill chuck has a long MT2 taper. I have to turn the tailstock out about an inch to get fully seated. So far, the loss of horizontal space has never been an issue when drilling. Lathe bed is long enough that I can move the tailstock back as far as needed. Your midi lathe may not have as much room.

That's so you can remove the chuck by backing the tailstock ram all the way in. Not all lathes have a through hole in the tailstock. You could shorten the chuck arbor and it wouldn't hurt anything, you'd just have to remove the chuck with the knock out bar.
If the tail stock is a self ejecting design, then they generally do not have a through hole for a knock out bar. So check before you shorten the Morse Taper.

Back