• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Replacing PoweMatic live center - suggestions

About 2 months into turning on a PM 2014; i think the live center with it is cone center point is not best choice but the name brand versions from OneWay and Robust are beaucoup coin... For a beginner like me who is going to mainly do bowls within the 14" range of lathe and some ornamental pieces. I looked through the prior threads and saw some commentary on live centers but perhaps a few experienced turners can comment on this question. Thanks.

About 2 months into turning on a PM 2014; i think the live center with it is cone center point is not best choice but the name brand versions from OneWay and Robust are beaucoup coin... For a beginner like me who is going to mainly do bowls within the 14" range of lathe and some ornamental pieces. I looked through the prior threads and saw some commentary on live centers but perhaps a few experienced turners can comment on this question. Thanks.
About a year ago my older Robust live center self destructed. I replaced it with one by Savannah from Peachtree Woodworking (www.ptreeusa.com ). I also have an Oneway live center that came w/ my Oneway 1224. That center is now 20 yrs old and still working fine. Actually, I don't find that the Oneway is that pricey.

A Delta 46-490 is a pretty versatile live center. Probably now discontinued, they still can be found on the auction site. Around $60.00 or less.
They don't stick out as far as some of the other live centers and thus are a little more rigid. They do have a 5202 double row bearing so it will be more rigid than cheap centers with a single row bearing.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
For most things I prefer a cup live center with a removable point.
A ONEWAY or Robust live center will serve you well and both accept the commercial and homemade threaded add-ons.

Craft Supplies and Packard both have less expensive centers. Some with interchangeable tips.
Both companies focus on Woodturners - they sell things that work.

I bought a craft supplies center Something like the one below about 30 years ago.
Mine has 4 tips. It still works great but - has been reserved for special tasks and students since I got a ONEWAY center 25 years ago. This doesn’t have removable point with makes fine adjustment of the center for grain or rim alignment difficult or impossible.

Last edited:

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
The live centers that came with my Powermatic and my Jet (same center from each) have removable center points. They came with a rod that you can put in from the back (taper) side and bonk it on a table to drive out the tip, leaving you with just a cone center.
I also turned down the points (chucked them somehow and used a file) so they didn't stick out so far.
A 3/4" nut will thread on the live center, so you can glue a nut into a chunk of wood and turn any live center tip shape you want/need.

Curious about what you see as the shortcomings of the Powermatic Live center? I have the PM, an offbrand, and a Oneway. I don't see a lot of difference between them in use. FWIW - I removed the center pin from the PM, the offbrand typically holds wooden blocks, and the Oneway has the pin. This allows easy set up for most uses.

Curious about what you see as the shortcomings of the Powermatic Live center? I have the PM, an offbrand, and a Oneway. I don't see a lot of difference between them in use. FWIW - I removed the center pin from the PM, the offbrand typically holds wooden blocks, and the Oneway has the pin. This allows easy set up for most uses.
My reaction as well. I have at least one well-used PM live center. Works well. The small central pin is removable, although I leave it in place for most of what I turn. The diameter of the body barrel has sometimes been a problem, although it is about the same as most other live centers. I do have a smaller diameter live center for when I need better close access.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
About a year ago my older Robust live center self destructed. I replaced it with one by Savannah from Peachtree Woodworking (www.ptreeusa.com ). I also have an Oneway live center that came w/ my Oneway 1224. That center is now 20 yrs old and still working fine. Actually, I don't find that the Oneway is that pricey.
I'd guess the bearings in the Robust are readily replaceable.

For any live center I really want a moveable, replaceable point and an exterior thread for mounting other kinds of tailstock holding devices like cones, rubber chuckies, and shop-made friction pads. A small diameter profile close to the work is also very helpful for tool access.

A 3/4" nut will thread on the live center, so you can glue a nut into a chunk of wood and turn any live center tip shape you want/need.
Another option is to drill and tap wood or plastic for the tips. I had a few delrin rods lying around and used them to make tips of various shapes. (Delrin is very stable and turns/machines well, but it’s a little grabby and I found a negative rake scraper works best for shaping it.) I drill and tap the rod and then put it on a Robust drive center (same threading) for shaping.

Raja, what sort of problems have you had with your live center? Maybe the folks on here can come up with some solutions that don't require you to buy a new one.

Good tip—thank you Dave!
You can also tread a piece of wood to so this without the nut. Thread the wood with a bolt with v notch filled in like a tap.

I have three of the PM/Jet type live centers. The first one I could not get the center out of no matter how much I banged on the rod. Called Jet and the tech sent me another one. The thing just popped out before I got the replacement. One of the others the brass insert which holds the bearings loosens occasionally. I call these maintenance issues.

Last edited:
$120 for OneWay.. but "expensive" is all relative isn't it. There are people here who talk about having more than (gulp) 10 chucks. Good ones are upwards of $150.

My PM comes with a cheaper live center. No pin to remove or replace. Perhaps the LC you are associating with PM is one that comes with older or larger machines.

Attachments

• 20230923_203006.jpg
    20230923_203006.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 23
If that was what PM supplied, it certainly ought to be replaced. For the money they charge for any lathe, they ought to provide a better LC.

My PM comes with a cheaper live center. No pin to remove or replace. Perhaps the LC you are associating with PM is one that comes with older or larger machines.
If that is the stock one, then any of the others mentioned will be an upgrade. Most of them have a 60* cone like you have, but it will unscrew from the center, and allow a ton more flexibility. If you are on a budget, check out the one from Penn State.

Well have a look at the photo, its not the live center you thought the PM would have....

Attachments

• livecenter.jpg
    livecenter.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 15
For most things I prefer a cup live center with a removable point.
A ONEWAY or Robust live center will serve you well and both accept the commercial and homemade threaded add-ons.

Craft Supplies and Packard both have less expensive centers. Some with interchangeable tips.
Both companies focus on Woodturners - they sell things that work.

I bought a craft supplies center Something like the one below about 30 years ago.
Mine has 4 tips. It still works great but - has been reserved for special tasks and students since I got a ONEWAY center 25 years ago. This doesn’t have removable point with makes fine adjustment of the center for grain or rim alignment difficult or impossible.
Thanks for link and advice

Back