• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

RESULTS! Winter Turning Contest - Ornaments with Embellished Icicles

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
We were fortunate enough to have Bill Bowers, the author of the article, be the judge, blow are his comments

"Although there can be only 3 winners there should be kudos to all those who endeavored at the busiest time of the year to turn such bodacious projects. Much contemplation as well as precious time went into the entries for the embellished icicle contest.

First place! Ed Kelle presents the best example of Shibui--a Japanese word with no English equivalent basically meaning simplistic eidetic with immense non-discernable complexity. The icicle bine is truely a twisted stem and the texturing adds to the inherent beauty of the completed piece. Ed Kelle's ornament is my choice for first place.

Ed Kelle View 1
Ed Kelle View 2

Second place goes to Gordon Seto's multi-axis turning. This piece projects tremendous adeptness of off-centered turning at a petite level.

Gordon Seto View

Third place goes to Dutch for contrasting a twist within a pierced-through colored globe which embellishes the twisted icicle.

Dutch View

Bill Bowers"

Congrats to Gordon and Dutch for their beautiful pieces

All the entries are fantastic, I hope they made everyones holidays brighter. I'm glad we had good participation for this contest.

Thanks to Steve for organizing the contest and to Bill Bowers fof judging and also his helpful article. I had never done hollow ornaments before. I did make a few more traditional ones as gifts based on the article before going back to my organic look for the contest. Hope everyone had as much fun as I did.

Man.... I am totally impressed with ALL of the entered pieces. Everybody did a grand job... Congrats to Ed, Gordon, and Dutch. Those are impressive pieces!

Back