• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ric Williams

Greetings from SE Michigan,
I'm Ric. I've dabbled in woodworking off and on for decades, but I've decided to get more serious late last year. I've sold items from other hobbies to finance some woodworking machines (planer, jointer, spindle sander, etc.) and had enough left for a lathe. I've been a hobby level machinist for a few years and always enjoy working with my metal lathe, so I figured I'd try some woodturning. What I didn't figure on was how much I enjoy it. It seems to have overshadowed my other woodworking interests, at least for now. There are a couple AAW chapters in my area, so I'm going to check them out and hopefully line up some mentoring before I develop too many bad habits. So far I've made some handles for a few Sorby turning tool blades and a couple of seam rippers for my wife. I've bought a few issues of American Woodturner and the artistic turning just blows my mind. That seems to be where my interests lie, so hopefully it won't take forever for my skills to catch up with my ideas and ambitions.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Ric. It appears that you have been pulled into the turning vortex and there's no hope of escaping. Poor soul, now you've become one of us. You'll find yourself doing strange things like slamming on the brakes when you see a pile of wood on the side of a road. But, don't worry ... this is the new normal.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Ric, welcome to the forum! Well gotta go.

Must...turn....wood...

Must...turn...wood...

Ric,

You will enjoy using the wood lathe over the metal lathe in that you can quickly progress in the progress of turning a wood blank into a work piece in a few minutes compared to the time it takes to set up and change tooling and make multiple cuts to create a simple metal part. The metal lathe comes in handy as you can make various accessories to use with your wood lathe.

Welcome to the forum. Good idea to look into a club. Well worth the time plus joining AAW is a bonus.

Welcome from SE Texas!
It's a great hobby! It's my stress relief.
Alll it hurts is my wallet once in a while

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
woodturning...............seems to have overshadowed my other woodworking interests, at least for now.

There are a couple AAW chapters in my area, so I'm going to check them out and hopefully line up some mentoring before I develop too many bad habits.

Welcome to the forum.
Most of us have found that the woodturning is by far more fun, more challenging, and open to more exploration than the flat work.

A good mentor or good class will advance your skill set to a higher level and in a much shorter time than error and try again learning. You will find that Chapters have so much to offer.

Back