• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Richard Hash

Hello to everyone from south of Houston, TX.

I've never been a turner so this is all new to me. Took a bowl turning class in the early 90's and enjoyed it, but didn't own a lathe. Have done alot of woodworking over the years, thought it was time to learn a bit more about turning.

After being flooded out by Hurricane Harvey in 2017, I spent about 15 months rebuilding the downstairs of my house, and for Christmas last year I gifted myself a Laguna 1836 (which I'm hoping will outlast me).

My first efforts are below, a couple of osage orange bowls (from 1979-era logs, quite hard!), a spalted ash bowl, and a mesquite rattle (figuring out captive rings took me a couple tries!)

My day job is producing software for the Exploration & Production community (oil & gas).

Have really enjoyed browsing everyone else's work!

20190508_174126_HDR.jpg IMG_3644.c.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Richard. It looks like you're off to a great start. That's a nice lathe and your first few projects turned (excuse the pun) out very nice. Dry bois d'arc is about the hardest wood to turn. When green it turns far easier.

If you haven't visited the Houston woodturning club (Gulf Coast Woodturners Association) yet, it's a great way to advance your turning skills.

Welcome from the Cuero area---not that far away. Did live in Needville in my former life as a Teacher.
Harvey wasn't nice here either
See lots of the oil and gas folks in and out around here.
I use Osage occasionally--actually have access to a bunch, but mainly prefer Mesquite.
Give a shout if up this way.

Welcome from the Cuero area---[...]
I use Osage occasionally--actually have access to a bunch, but mainly prefer Mesquite.

David, where do you get your mesquite from? I usually have to drive a couple hours to get up into the hill country to find sawyers with decent mesquite chunks...

David, where do you get your mesquite from? I usually have to drive a couple hours to get up into the hill country to find sawyers with decent mesquite chunks...

Richard--I live and practice in a rural area. People/my friends give me trees. (the secret is: Don't say no.) All I have to do is supply my chainsaw, trailer, and some sweat. Sometimes they'll actually load it on the trailer for me---if I'm lucky, or even better; they'll even bring it to the house. I process it all myself when I have need or the time.
I do sell some from time to time.,

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Hey Richard, welcome from south of New Orleans. As others have said, very nice work (and a nice set up as Joshua said).

I go to Houston quite a bit and have family there (Spring). I know you guys went through the wringer with Harvey and all the other weather the past few years. I'm in Houma, which is mostly oil and gas related.

I have to say that for someone who just finished a full remodel and just got into turning, it's clear that you have talent. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!

Mark

Thank you to all for the kind words. Yes, Harvey was not kind to us, the little airport just north of where I live registered nearly 50" of rain in 4 days, so yeah, it was wet! But we were blessed with friends and strangers, we had over 50 people help gut our house out, we had dried slabs in under 3 days once we could get back in. Putting it all back together took me a little longer ;-)

I have quickly learned that reasonable turning results are predicated on good sharpening skills, something I mentally knew before, but apparently didn't really value ;-)

Back