• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Richard Hotchkiss

Have not used a lathe since high school shop class. Bought a used lathe a couple of years ago when I retired and have pretty much taught myself through books, videos and lots of practice. Have now turned around 30-40 bowls, ice cream scoop and bottle opener handles and most recently a rolling pin (now have to talk the wife into using it to make me a apple pie). Look forward to reading and learning even more from other post on this site. Also does anyone have any experience with the record power herald lathes? May get a new lathe in the future and the size and features of this machine would work well in my small shop. Thanks a bunch!

Hello fello retirees/turners. I made a baseball bat in shop in either 7th or 8th grade, and was forever hooked on turning. I'll now be 84 on the 27th and recently retired, and am now totally engrossed in wood turning. My 23 inch bandsaw has a patent date of 1905, my walker Turner lathe was made in 1951, and I am in woodturning heaven. I also made myself a bowl lathe which will swing 41 inches (dought that I'll ever attempt turning anything near 41 inches), but so far it has done well at around 15". I also converted a painter's vacuum tank to a pressure pot, and my first resin/apple root creation turned out better than I ever expected. I just found out that my grandaughter who lives in Whyoming has a tree line wind break which is partly Russian olive, and she is trimming out some storm damage from it, and saving some for me. Does anyone have any experience turning Russian olive? It's only distantly related to regular olive trees, and is now considered an invasive species. I understand it is good turning material.

Back