• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rikon 70-1824VSR Lathe 220V Question

Does anyone know if the 220V version of this lathe actually requires 3-phase? The manual says it does, but that strikes me as odd.

3-Phase is pretty much industrial strength power, and I wouldn't class this 18/24 as "industrial".

There are a number of lathes that have magical boxes that feed the motor 3-phase from 115V. I'm hoping the 3-phase thing in the 18/24 manual is kind of a misnomer.

Thanks in advance!

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Out of curiosity (I don't have or otherwise know about this machine) I looked at the manual. The "3PH" spec appears to be in a section describing the motor. If you look later in the document (p6), it specifically calls out a NEMA 6-20P plug, which is definitely for 240v, 20A, single-phase (Red/Black/Ground) wiring (not 3-phase).

Out of curiosity (I don't have or otherwise know about this machine) I looked at the manual. The "3PH" spec appears to be in a section describing the motor. If you look later in the document (p6), it specifically calls out a NEMA 6-20P plug, which is definitely for 240v, 20A, single-phase (Red/Black/Ground) wiring (not 3-phase).
You da Man! I believe you are spot on. Thank you!

Dave is correct. I noticed this and called Rikon tech about it a while ago. It is a three phase motor but the controller is single phase. The tech said there has been a lot of confusion over that and they are working on rewording the description. If you buy one be sure to do a review.

They are working on rewording the description....... Some times I wonder how things even manage to go out the door. Like many 'instruction' manuals, it seems that they are never written by people that 'really' use the tool.....

robo hippy

Back