• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rob Price

Website
hogmountainwoodworks.com
I’ve been turning about 7 years or so now. I started my love for woodworking in my grandfather’s shop, and then in my father in laws shop when I met my wife, and then started my own tool collection shortly after. I started with furniture mostly, I was interested in functional pieces, I’ve never considered myself very ‘artsy’. I decided to buy a small lathe to turn some legs for an end table I was working on. Then I turned some larger legs for a walnut dining room table on a friend’s big Powermatic and quickly was sucked into the vortex of turning.

As life with a young family, and my own regular day job, became more and more busy my shop time for large furniture projects became less and less- but if I could sneak out and turn a bowl or a pen I was able to scratch that itch.

About 2 years ago I really started to focus on bowl turning, improving my techniques, trying new tools and grinds and methods. I started churning out bowls and friends and family talked me into trying to sell a few of them. My wife is very supportive of my turning but we only have room for so many bowls in the house. So I started selling a few pieces here and there from my website (https://hogmountainwoodworks.com) and at local fairs. Mostly to support my turning habit. I’m going to be making them, I might as well sell a couple and offset my sandpaper and finishing expenses. I call my lathe my therapist- I need to be out there.

One of my kids has shown a lot of interest as well and I’m teaching him how to turn as well. He’s 10 but he can crank out a pen almost as fast as I can now.

I still consider myself a beginner turner, especially when you look around at some of the amazing stuff folks are putting out there. But I’m enjoying the journey. I’m hoping to be more active around here. I joined a while ago but haven’t been on the forums much.

Back