• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Robert Evans

Greetings from Georgia. I retired from Law Enforcement about 4 years ago and decided I needed a couple of new hobbies. So, I bought a camper and a Grizzly wood lathe. Both come with a pretty steep learning curve.

My wife has been pretty supportive of the wood turning. She keeps claiming all my finished bowls as her own. That's alright. The fun part is the production.

I joined up with the Chattahoochee Woodturners up in Gainesville, Ga. I've learned a lot attending their workshops and club meetings. I don't ever expect to be able to produce the same quality of turnings that those folks do, but I'm learning.

This is a picture of the woodturning corner of my basement workshop.

IMG_2388.JPG

Welcome. Good idea to join a club. Did you also join AAW? Well worth the $$$ for the information on the website.

Welcome to the AAW forum, Robert.You have a very nice set up, but it looks too clean. :D You need to have piles of shavings everywhere.

I took the picture right after I swept up. The bag of shavings is behind the camera. I've been hunting, buying and making tools for the past 6 months. It's about time for another tool rack. I'm heading out tomorrow to see my tree service guy. Running out of wood.

My current project is a pecan bowl. I cut several large bowl blanks out of a limb that fell in a friend's yard. He dragged the limb off into the woods with his tractor where it sat for 2 years before I got to it. Its got some really nice spalting and the Antique oil really brings out the figure. I still need to buff it but it's been raining here a lot and I figured I'd better let the finish dry a few more days.

IMG_2190.JPG IMG_2399.JPG

I'm getting better with the bottoms. I've learned that when you start holding your breath to cut the last little bit, it's time to quit.

IMG_2400.JPG

Website
hogmountainwoodworks.com
If you’re in Gainesville I hope you’ve been to see Joe and Ken at Woodturners Wonders. Great guys. But be careful- you might want to leave your wallet at home! My first trip was expensive. Welcome!

Yes, I've been eyeing a 1 hp Rikon grinder they have. I just need to get the CFO to approve it. I see Ken at most of the Chattahoochee Woodturners meetings but I don't think he knows who I am yet.

Back