• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Robert Ferrer

Hello!

I’m a Californian living in Denmark. First question I usually get from Danes is, “Why did you leave California for Denmark?”

And I tell them, “I met a Dane and moved.”

They usually nod in understanding, sometimes with sympathy. Sunshine and warmth is not the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks of Denmark. Still, it has its charm and beauty (not unlike Michigan), the people are very nice and I call it home.

I’ve been a woodworking since the ’90s. I started with turning ikebana vases and bowls and later focused on furniture and cabinets for work. After giving up my shop tools/machines before moving, I’m gradually building a new one. I want to keep turning as a focus, while growing into other aspects of woodworking.

I like spindle work, like wands, and I’m starting to turn something different. Its shape is inspired by ceramic vessels that Georgians use to make wine.
IMG_2169.jpeg
It’s a fun project, and we’ll see how it goes.

Earlier this spring/summer I had been improving my shop by taking out a horrible carpet and laying down a fresh coat of floor paint.

IMG_3085.jpeg

My lathe station has been set for a while, and at some point I’ll build out the rest of the shop.

IMG_3086.jpeg

At least now with a cleaner floor, Wilbur comes to hang out every now and then.

IMG_2914.jpeg

As for hobbies and interests, I golf from time to time, and during football season I root for the Lions.

Hope to enjoy my time here on the forum. :)

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Robert! Denmark has to be a pretty cool place to call home. Tickle me jealous. I really like those vases. Beautiful forms. Can’t wait to see more of your work. Cheers!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, Robert. I agree with Doug, the Georgian wine vessels are really very nice. It sounds like Wilbur is training you to keep a tidy shop. My cat thinks that my shop is a lost cause. I hope that the Lions have improved since 2008. I find it hard to be a Cowboys fan ... another lost cause.

Hi Robert! Denmark has to be a pretty cool place to call home. Tickle me jealous. I really like those vases. Beautiful forms. Can’t wait to see more of your work. Cheers!
Thanks, Michael! Denmark is very nice, indeed. Thanks for the compliment. I'll need to keep working on them, but I'm working on different pieces, now.

Welcome Robert. I love the Georgian wine vessels
Thanks, Doug. They are a fun turn, for sure.

Welcome aboard, Robert. I agree with Doug, the Georgian wine vessels are really very nice. It sounds like Wilbur is training you to keep a tidy shop. My cat thinks that my shop is a lost cause. I hope that the Lions have improved since 2008. I find it hard to be a Cowboys fan ... another lost cause.
Hey Bill, thanks. I suspect Wilbur will hang out more in the winter. He's definitely a cold-weather dog. The expectations hype with the Lions is killing me!

Welcome! The Lions appear to be on the upswing.
Thanks, Doug. I hope so!

Back