• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ron Vasser

Hi folks, my name is Ron and I live on a small hobby farm with my wife north of Rome, GA. I'm retired from a paying job but still, have plenty to keep me busy. We have horses, dogs, sheep, chickens, geese, and ducks. Fishing is one of my hobbies but I really want to learn to turn wood. I've enjoyed reading on AAW for some time now and think I'll move to the getting started forum.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, Ron. We're glad to have you here. Here is the search feature to find an AAW chapter near you.. Hopefully one of them is close to your location. Joining a woodturning chapter is the best way to get some mentoring and get up to speed on whatever turning direction you would like to go.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome,
Do check out the local chapters. Also Georgia has a couple of regional symposiums.
Local chapter often have classes,or mentors. Consider a class at Arrowmont or Campbell.

A quality class will give you the skills to get the most out of the tools you get.
It also give you some first hand knowledge about what you want in a lathe and what tools you want to use.

Welcome to the forum. You will find that you might want to back to work to get some rest. I retired in 2009 and can't figure how I found time to work!
I fish just off the downtown with a friend at the confluence of the two rivers. Yes, we fish for carp and buffalo.

Welcome to the forum. You will find that you might want to back to work to get some rest. I retired in 2009 and can't figure how I found time to work!
I fish just off the downtown with a friend at the confluence of the two rivers. Yes, we fish for carp and buffalo.

Ain't that the truth! I'm amazed at how I worked a job, took care of a larger farm, and now can barely keep up with a hobby farm.
Thanks for the welcome!

Back