• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sanding Tips Please

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The answer to this is very simple......needs coarser grit.

Since @Juliet Balfour said that she was using 80 grit possibly there is something else going on ... perhaps a crack in the wood that actually isn't a scratch. This is just a hunch since she mentioned a single scratch rather than "scratches". Otherwise, I agree with what you say. If the scratch is really deep or if the wood is really hard then it might be necessary to use 50 or 60 grit sandpaper. Then there's the adage about using sandpaper like somebody else is paying for it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ditto on the hand sanding and Ditto what Odie said about starting with the proper grit. It does take practice. I remember when I first started I always started with 120. Now many years later I find I can start with 180 but often have to back up to 150 and that's the ego thing Odie is talking about. Quite often if I sand the bad spots with the lathe off using the 150 by hand I immediately go to 180 and do the whole bowl.

Back