• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sandpaper storage

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
View attachment 49295For 2” discs I made a rack out of PVC sections cut open on the front and screwed to a board. For 3” sections I’ve got verticals slots. Each rack has a cover with a plexiglas front that I remove when I’m sanding. The plexiglass is overkill, but I happened to have some left over from another project.

What do you use the golf clubs for, Lou?

Is that for when you get frustrated and just want to throw something? Ha,ha! :)

(I gave away my golf clubs many years ago.....so these days, I just grab any ol' thing that's handy! Ha,ha,ha!)

-----odie-----

OK, for sheet sandpaper storage, I built this little box with individual shelves. Cheap and efficient.

The paper cutter, courtesy of my dear old mom, who was a career school teacher.....gave me this antique paper cutter. Works great for cutting sandpaper into strips. The bulk strips of sandpaper are then stored in pvc tubes. I normally cut enough sandpaper strips to last me a couple months at a time, so cutting the strips isn't something that needs to be done very often. (In this photo, it looks like I'm getting pretty close to taking some time off to cut sandpaper strips! :))

-----odie-----

Odie, I like the built-in paper cutter. Good idea.

I see many people have individual pads for each grit. Is this to lessen the eventual separation of the hook and loop from the pad, or is there worry of cross contamination of if you use the same pad for a variety of grits?

I have many pads but find it faster to just change the sandpaper grit.
Does hook & loop last longer than flat sheets? I always assumed one bowl and toss it. That’s what’s keeping me from trying it.

I see many people have individual pads for each grit. Is this to lessen the eventual separation of the hook and loop from the pad, or is there worry of cross contamination of if you use the same pad for a variety of grits?

I have many pads but find it faster to just change the sandpaper grit.
Changing out grits in sequence on one pad results in the hook & loop tearing away from the pad relatively quickly. I use the Roloc system so swapping pads on the mandrel is as easy as a quarter turn on and off. Roloc

Last edited:
Does hook & loop last longer than flat sheets? I always assumed one bowl and toss it. That’s what’s keeping me from trying it.
Hard to compare them. Power sanding with h&l is faster and I can stop at a lower grit when finishing with a random orbit than using hand-held sheet abrasives on a spinning bowl. If using the same abrasive type in the same way the backing won't make much difference in longevity. I mostly use the blue discs from Vince's Wood n Wonders and they are pretty durable. Depending on the situation I may use more than one disc of my initial grit on a piece but use subsequent discs on more than one.

Last edited:
At least some of the discs are mylar backed and will structurally last longer than typical paper sheets. However, the effectiveness of the grit normally wears out long before the backing on both of them.

As for durability, it depends on the wood, the size of the bowl, and the finish off the tool that you achieve. Whether it's one bowl or 3, when it stops throwing off sanding dust in a Niagra-like shower, change to a new one.

One big advantage of discs is that they are less likely to increase waviness in the surface of the wood. Another is that if you try to sand natural edge projects while they're turning on the lathe, it's much less painful to do it with discs on a holder than paper with your fingers.

The only way to know is to try them. Starter sets of discs with a small number of various grits are availble. Dip your toe and find out for yourself.

As far as durability goes, it depends on how good your abrasives are. The old red garnet sheets wore out if you just looked at them. The newer 'cubitron' stuff from 3M seems to outlast just about anything out there. The white aluminum oxide and the red stuff (also aluminum oxide?) seem to go fairly quickly. Not sure about the Abranet since I don't use it. Abrasives have come a long way.

robo hippy

I know there are sources for the cubitron discs, but they are in 2 and 3 inch only. I have gotten used to the 3+ inch ones from Vince, and want them. Not available, at least not yet. Some thing else I would like to see would be the cubitron belts for my drum sander. Only available if you buy 35 yard long rolls, which is not a problem, but you need to buy the full width of the sanding roll, which is about 5 foot wide.....

robo hippy

Website
kendorart.com
In an effort to regrow my fingerprints, I purchased an angle drill and sanding bundle from Woodturner’s Wonders. Excitement turned to dread as I realized that I now have hundreds of tiny discs to corral. Any suggestions as to effective and efficient storage?
Ok, for 3" sanding velcro disc, I use 4" PVC pipe, drill sight holes along one side to see how many are remaining for restocking, then cut an end cap glued off the bottom half way-up for ease of removing a single disc. If you desire, the end cap can be screwed down before gluing onto a board, or they stand well because I used schedule 40 PVC which weighs more.

Attachments

• sanding disc holders.jpg
    sanding disc holders.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 41
OK, for sheet sandpaper storage, I built this little box with individual shelves. Cheap and efficient.

The paper cutter, courtesy of my dear old mom, who was a career school teacher.....gave me this antique paper cutter. Works great for cutting sandpaper into strips. The bulk strips of sandpaper are then stored in pvc tubes. I normally cut enough sandpaper strips to last me a couple months at a time, so cutting the strips isn't something that needs to be done very often. (In this photo, it looks like I'm getting pretty close to taking some time off to cut sandpaper strips! :))

-----odie-----

View attachment 49536View attachment 49538
Hey, @odie . I am trying to get my sanding station and process in order. I like your setup and can see why you would break down full sheets to strips.

What size of sanding strips do you make? And do you use the full piece or tear off a piece? Thanks for the guidance.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hey, @odie . I am trying to get my sanding station and process in order. I like your setup and can see why you would break down full sheets to strips.

What size of sanding strips do you make? And do you use the full piece or tear off a piece? Thanks for the guidance.
Howdy Doug......I don't know offhand the exact measurement of the strips, but I think the standard sheet is cut into 7 strips. If you look at the paper cutter, you'll see markings at the head, which I align with the edge of the sheet while I'm cutting them. It's not an exact measurement.....close enough is good enough for sandpaper strips. :)

I usually don't tear off any pieces of the strips, but rather fold them into whatever size is best for whatever I'm doing at the moment.

Best,

-o-

img_2394-jpg.49536

The harbor freight flip out boxes are mounted on a piece of plywood that slides out on drawer slides. (Idea came from a guy on here. I'd have to go looking through old posts to find his name)
A lot of my sand paper I store in the flat storage containers you see that came from dollar tree. The shelf unit is just one of those particle board things repurposed that I added some extra shelves to.

Attachments

• IMG_20230321_181144500.jpg
    IMG_20230321_181144500.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230211_201841790.jpg
    IMG_20230211_201841790.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 24
In an effort to regrow my fingerprints, I purchased an angle drill and sanding bundle from Woodturner’s Wonders. Excitement turned to dread as I realized that I now have hundreds of tiny discs to corral. Any suggestions as to effective and efficient storage?
I thought not having fingerprints was a good thing....... Boy we must live different....

I punch out 2” discs from the larger ones. But I find that the plastic backing tends to break down quite quickly and the abrasive flakes off. Perhaps it depends on the shape of the bowl when sanding the inside.
Where did you get the punch? I haven't had good luck making one out of a hole saw and craft punches won't touch sandpaper. I did see a turner in the uk sells a couple of punches but I figured I could buy better sandpaper by the time you figure in the cost.

Howdy Doug......I don't know offhand the exact measurement of the strips, but I think the standard sheet is cut into 7 strips. If you look at the paper cutter, you'll see markings at the head, which I align with the edge of the sheet while I'm cutting them. It's not an exact measurement.....close enough is good enough for sandpaper strips. :)

I usually don't tear off any pieces of the strips, but rather fold them into whatever size is best for whatever I'm doing at the moment.

Best,

-o-

img_2394-jpg.49536
Thanks Odie. So about 1-1/2" strips. And, I can see the pro tip of label first and then cut. I can see why that would be important too.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Website
www.turnedwoodenbowls.co.uk
Where did you get the punch? I haven't had good luck making one out of a hole saw and craft punches won't touch sandpaper. I did see a turner in the uk sells a couple of punches but I figured I could buy better sandpaper by the time you figure in the cost.
I got a wad punch years ago from eBay. It punches through 2-3 thicknesses, using a club hammer and an end grain block under the discs, until the block gets too cut up. But more recently I’m laser cutting them. That does a neat job and is more accurate, so less waste. I use the offcuts for spindle sanding.

Actually I was thinking of 1 inch and smaller.

But here are 3 choices: Ace Hole Saw
Amazon Craft Punch
Amazon Leather Dies

I might have to give the leather dies a try. I bought one of those craft punches the other day and it wouldn't cut through the klingspor white color out of the box of hook and loop I had and I don't think it was extra thick or anything. I do like that sandpaper though. I've been cutting it up and using it for hand sanding with some little foam holders I got.

Attachments

• 51FtezUC1eL._SX522_.jpg
    51FtezUC1eL._SX522_.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 5
I’ve been using these cases for my sanding discs for several years. Now after starting to use the WW attachments I need to get a third one. BTW - I’m very happy with the WW pads and have not had any issues with discs coming off, in fact by dedicating pads to each sanding grit I’m finding that my sandpaper discs are lasting longer.
View attachment 49309
Got a couple of those. Brilliant to organise your grits especially if you are using Vince's Woodturning Wonders 3" rounds.

Back