• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Scott Rousseau

Hello, y'all! My name is Scott Rousseau and I am new to woodturning, so I thought it would be a good idea to learn from some experienced turners. I am a mostly self-taught woodworker, having been buying old tools and learning how to use them for about 35 years, but I have never owned a lathe until a co-worker sold me one a couple months ago. It is a 1979 (I think) Craftsman 12" wood lathe that was owned by her father who passed away some months ago. It was rusted but mostly complete with a running motor, so I spent some time cleaning it up and putting it back together and now it is looking good. It came with a basic set of 8 chisels that were pretty dull, so I had to get a nice Hurricane wheel for my bench grinder to get a fresh edge on them and learn how to use them. My first project was to make some table legs for a section of a bowling alley that I wanted to use for a TV stand (see pics). After working through a learning curve I got 4 legs turned, painted them black, and installed them onto the maple bowling lane piece with some cherry aprons. It came out great!
Now I want to turn some shallow bowls for Christmas presents, so I bought an old 6" craftsman face plate off Craigslist and I am getting some 8/4 mahogany that is 11" wide. The problem is that I cannot get the spur center off the drive spindle. I am sure that there is a fair amount of rust in there and I have sprayed with WD-40 and tried to get vice grips on it, but I don't really want to ruin the spur center. I put a rod through the back of the spindle and whacked it pretty good, but to no avail. Any of you have tips on how to remove a spur center that may have been on there for many years? Please help!

Attachments

• Craftsman Lathe.jpg
    Craftsman Lathe.jpg
    737.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Lathe Table Leg.jpg
    Lathe Table Leg.jpg
    794.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Lathe TV Table.jpg
    Lathe TV Table.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Lathe Spur Center.jpg
    Lathe Spur Center.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 23
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Can also cut a 2x4 to snugly fit, almost wedge between spindle shaft and bedways, and lay another piece of 2x4 on top and whack that with a joiner's mallet a few times, then try whacking the push rod behind spur center again. Once you do get the center out, be sure and carefully clean/polish the Morse Taper before putting a center back in. (and no lubrication on it)

Website
www.rickurbanwoodturner.com
Welcome, Brian. You've come to a good place for advice. I also started with a round tube Craftsman lathe. The "whacking" advice you've already received should work. I suggest you repeat the penetrating oil at intervals for a couple of days with whacks each time to try to allow it to penetrate further. Failing that you might try heaing (gently) the spindle to make it expand and loosen. A heat gun might work, but a propane torch might be better. I would say to stay with propane vs MAPP gas, which gets quite a bit hotter, and I do not recommend an acetylene torch unless you are already pretty competent in its use.

Probably a good idea to post your questions etc. in one of the other forums or this one might become a jumble of lots of stuff.

Thank you for your welcoming posts and your helpful comments, although Rick is correct that this is not the right forum for soliciting assistance. I will continue this saga in Tutorials and Tips.

Back