• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Second lathe for grandchildren

My grandchildren are starting to get into turning pens and magic wands. They are at the point now where they only need minimal supervision. I’d like to be able to turn at the same time as them because they are taking up all of my turning time.

I’d like to keep it under $500. Some options I’m seeing are WEN mini at $300 with vsr and bed extension to accommodate longer wands. It has MT1 spindles so my existing tools won’t fit. I don’t like to buy junky tools, but have a WEN wet grinder that’s much better built than I expected for the price. Another option is a used Record CLC3-48 for $350. No vsr. And also has MT1 spindles. From what I see online it was a fine lathe back in the day. There is also the Rikon 70-105 new which has MT2 but no vsr. I’m not seeing much in the way of newer used lathes under $500.

Does anyone have experience with a WEN lathe? Any other options I should consider? What would you do?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
You mentioned a good quality used lathe. These come up in our area every month or so in club emails.

You might try and email to all the local club members in your area expressing your interest in midi lathes in good condition for your grand children.

I had a Nova Comet2 lathe I purchased as a second a few years ago. My son recently took up an interest in turning and purchased a Wen lathe off of Amazon. I brought my Comet2 to him and glanced at the Wen, there was no comparison. Don't know if Nova is still selling the Comet2, but it cost me less than $500 new a few years ago and I'm sure that used ones would be in your price range.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I started turning on a Nova Comet 2, and it was fantastic. I bought mine used in a package deal with some chucks and other accessories, and a Dewalt scroll saw for $500. Sold the scroll saw for $300, so effectively scored the lathe and everything else for $200. Used is the way to go, in my opinion. I have a couple of Wen tools (electric chainsaw and benchtop drillpress), and they were great value. But for a lathe, I would want sturdier construction and better precision.

If going the new route, look for a good sale. I also have a couple of buddies that have made some really great turnings on an Excelsior mini lathe. It only has a 10” swing, but if your grandchildren are only interested in small spindles that’s not a problem. And, I think you can get it for a few hundred dollars new with a warranty.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I'd say look elsewhere. I have a couple of Wen products - a corded Jigsaw, and a 40V Cordless 18 inch chainsaw. Both have given quite good results much more so than I ever expected of them.

HOWEVER, I would not want a Wen for anything I was going to depend on (such as for teaching kids.. and especially kids who tend to not have mature levels of patience, and thus may get overly upset at downtime!)

So, as with others, stick with known "premium" brands such as Jet, Nova, Powermatic and the like (try and find used) , and I would suggest trying to find one that can take the same adapters & accessories as your main lathe use (in one way or another) which might make the mini a bit more useful for when you aren't teaching the kids.

When I went and got that HF Lathe I never knew any better (It was only $350 for 12x36 with scroll chuck, few months later I discovered brand new ones were $399! that was their full size 12 x 36 lathe... ) It got me deeper into turning (and brought me here)... but also leaves me deeply disappointed and discouraged on ever getting showcase quality work - no matter what I do, just cannot overcome the loose tolerances and vibration of the cheaper construction. (It took me 6 tries and some luck to turn a halfway decent finial that probably would have nailed it in 15 minutes on first try with a better quality machine that didn't have a tiny bit (approx .0003") of runout and bearing-spindle slop (approx .0003") which further out translates to a relatively considerable wobble on small spindles especially with even the slightest pressure from a bevel or dull tool ..... Although I suppose it does teach one to develop a light touch and frequent sharpening/honing....

Hi Mike, I’m partial to Jet lathes since I’ve had 3 different ones. I’d look for a used 1015, 1221 with vs. They both have MT2 so your accessories will fit and spindle thread is 1x8 thread.
Now on a different note, if you get video from your bird house please share it on our FB.

Paul

I also have had great service from my original Jet 1014vs lathe. After 14 years, I still use it often. It's great for tops, bottle stoppers, kitchenware handles, boxes, pens, and small lidded bowls (nearly anything Nick Cook, Kip Christensen or Richard Raffan have made their living selling) A Jet 1221 would do 90% of what most hobbyists would want to turn.

Hi Mike, I’m partial to Jet lathes since I’ve had 3 different ones. I’d look for a used 1015, 1221 with vs. They both have MT2 so your accessories will fit and spindle thread is 1x8 thread.
Now on a different note, if you get video from your bird house please share it on our FB.

Paul
Paul

will do on the sharing. I will need to have wife do it. I signed up for fb a few months back and was banned for life the next day. The message did not say why I was banned, and that there was no way to appeal.

I will post a pic in the what’s on your lathe thread today.

Will be a while before anything moves in.

Thought I would mention, I purchased a refurbished Comet 2 from Nova around two and half or 3 years ago. I had some minor issues with it. Customer service was excellent. It is still working fine.

If you look at Grizzly, they have (backordered though) a 12x18 VS lathe for 469.95 with free shipping. It has a 1x8 MT2 spindle and MT2 tailstock. I have never used one of those lathes.

My grandchildren are starting to get into turning pens and magic wands. They are at the point now where they only need minimal supervision. I’d like to be able to turn at the same time as them because they are taking up all of my turning time.

I’d like to keep it under $500. Some options I’m seeing are WEN mini at $300 with vsr and bed extension to accommodate longer wands. It has MT1 spindles so my existing tools won’t fit. I don’t like to buy junky tools, but have a WEN wet grinder that’s much better built than I expected for the price. Another option is a used Record CLC3-48 for $350. No vsr. And also has MT1 spindles. From what I see online it was a fine lathe back in the day. There is also the Rikon 70-105 new which has MT2 but no vsr. I’m not seeing much in the way of newer used lathes under $500.

Does anyone have experience with a WEN lathe? Any other options I should consider? What would you do?
I bought an Excelsior that was upgraded with a 3/4 horse motor.Can do up to 9.5" bowls.Had to buy a chuck and a few gouges.Have done a few since starting this yr.I learned at the senior center in Kenosha,wi.

Attachments

• Allbowls.jpg
    Allbowls.jpg
    751.1 KB · Views: 9
My recommendation would be to do some research on what's considered a good midi lathe and then scour Craig's list, market place, and woodturning club classifieds. They're readily available as guys get them only to realize they need a 'grown up' lathe or people quickly lose interest, etc. Obviously target one that your current chucks and such will work with but enough to keep someone's interest. For you, I'd target something like the Jet, NOVA comet, or even an old school surplused Powermatic.

Back