• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Seeking metal detector recommendations

As the topic says, I am looking for recommendations for one of the wand-style metal detectors so that I don't try to turn a nail and end up with a face full of mostly-wood. Looked at a Lumber Wizard 5 a few minutes ago, was a bit concerned by a few of the reviews, but most are very positive. There are competitors (Garrett, and 30 no-name entrants, at least) to the LW, of course; otherwise, I wouldn't need any insight from the collective. :)

My late friend, a woodturner and electrical engineer and generally well informed guy, was not confident they would find deeply embedded nails and screws. Using one could give you a false sense of security and allow you to turn off your blue-black stain/why is that there sensor.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Yeah I doubt a metal detector would do much for deeply embedded nails in logs - for flatwork and reclaimed lumber, that'd be great to have, but for turning blanks, I'd just keep an eye out for any odd staining (I learned the hard way - metal detector would not have found the old iron nail in that piece of apple, but I saw the staining without realizing what it meant long before I hit the nail and ruined the edge of my gouge , having to grind away almost 1/8" of length to clean it up again)

It's usually the chainsaw that finds the metal first. My lumber wizard has saved a few chainsaw chains.

As the topic says, I am looking for recommendations for one of the wand-style metal detectors so that I don't try to turn a nail and end up with a face full of mostly-wood. Looked at a Lumber Wizard 5 a few minutes ago, was a bit concerned by a few of the reviews, but most are very positive. There are competitors (Garrett, and 30 no-name entrants, at least) to the LW, of course; otherwise, I wouldn't need any insight from the collective. :)
The detector with the highest ratings among those wand/disk metal detectorists when pinpointing a small find is the Garrett 1140900 Pro-Pointer - Waterproof Pinpointing Metal Detector, Orange. I use it to find nails and it even squawks for rust particles.

I just picked up this one and used it on a log that I was told had embedded nails. It was able to detect them fairly well, and it was inexpensive to boot.
I don’t see using it on the blanks so much as on logs. Once I see a dark stain it will hopefully show me the metal causing the stain.
Zircon metal detector

A wand style metal detector will be somewhat limited in the depth of detection depending on the size and type of metal, a metal detector with a larger diameter coil will have a greater range in depth detecting metal objects buried in a log.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I just picked up this one and used it on a log that I was told had embedded nails. It was able to detect them fairly well, and it was inexpensive to boot.
I don’t see using it on the blanks so much as on logs. Once I see a dark stain it will hopefully show me the metal causing the stain.
Zircon metal detector

I'm sure that the ad was supposed to say "Lath", but a spelling error turned out to be providential:

Zircon MetalliScanner m40- Handheld Electronic Metal Detector Use on Dry Wall, Concrete, Lathe and Plaster, Stucco and More, Battery Included​

Back