• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Segmented Bowls

Mel

Hi All
New member turner here, well not real new, have been making chair rungs for my repair business. I would like to do a simple segmented bowl project, to get to know the fundamentals. I understand that Wood Magazine had a South West style plan in a past issue, now I have every issue of Wood, but not the time to research all of them, so my ?? is, did anybody do that plan, or have something that would help me out?? as far as a plan is concerned??
TIA for any and all replies!
Take Care & God Bless Mel Rural Hancock Wi

As far as something that would help you out I would highly recommend Malcolm Tibbetts book "The Art of Segmented Woodturning" as something to read before you start cutting up expensive wood for a segmented turning.

Ed

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mel I found this
Article Month Year Issue No. Page

Southwest Bowls - Phil Brennion Jun 1994 70 68

Southwest Inspired Laminated Bowl Apr 1989 28 32

I would also recommend Malcolm's book. I have at least 4 or 5 books on segmented turning and his is the most understandable with easy to follow directions. You can easily design your own piece following his instructions

Mel

Hi John & Malcolm
Thanks so much for your replies, I will look for that Wood issue.
Also I do have Malcolms Book on segmentation, but I thought if I could start with something simplier, just to get some practise.
Again I appreciate your taking the time to help this old guy out, just got a new Jet 1220 Lathe, been using the old one just for putting Pens on to finish after turning on the Jet. I just finished a Pen & Pencil set from Antler, these will go to my friend who gave me 6 small deer racks for Pens.
Take care & God Bless Mel Rural Hancock Wi

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mel Wood magazine published a couple of books on woodturning projects. I think they both have a simple segmented bowl. One of them is the segmented bowls that I started turning about 20 years ago. I could probably copy the article for you if you'll send me your mailing address.

Back