• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

sharpening grit test

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
For the last month I've been doing a sharpening grit test. I was having a discussion with Steve Jones who makes turning videos using the skew. I claimed that sharpening to a higher grit would make a cleaner finish cut. He didn't think so. My Friend John Jordan used to say that 60 grit was as high as you needed to go. I felt this needed testing. So I mounted a 36 grit blue AOX wheel to my grinder. It has a 350 grit CBN on the other side. I turned a lot of projects over the last month. Turned out of Elm, Red Heart, Poplar, Spalted maple, Cocobolo, Birds eye maple, Hard maple,Walnut, Bolivian Rosewood, Ebony, Madrone,and Yellow heart. I used 3 bowl gouges of different steels, one spindle gouge, and a skew. What I would do is rough out the shape. Then I would sharpen the tool on one of the stones. I would make a finishing cut. Then I would resharpen on the other stone a make the same cut as accurately as I could. In all these woods there was no difference in the quality of the cut. these were easily sanded using 220 grit except for the Bolivian Rosewood that had the smallest of tearout in two small areas that took 180 grit. After seeing that tearout I cut that piece again with each sharpening grit and still got the same tearout in the same place. Normally when this happens I switch to a spindle gouge with a 35 degree edge and it solves the problem but this was a test about the tools
In my opinion the quality of the cut is due to how fast you push the tool through the wood. You have to push the tool no faster than the wood want's to be cut. This will vary with the wood of course. I use a very short main bevel on my tools except for the skew. This helps me "feel" the cut. I relax my grip using just finger tip pressure and let the tool cut at the rate it want's to cut. This is a lot slower than you think. If you force the cut at all you get a less than perfect surface.
Yesterday I did 2 more tests. I had a punky piece of Maple. I decided to turn a 7" bowl out of it. I roughed it out and did my same test with a 40 degree bowl gouge. I made 2 cuts and they were identical. There was very minor tearout that occured in 2 places and was pretty much the same off of both grinds. I soaked the wood with sanding sealer and let it dry. I did the same test. cut with one grit, then applied sanding sealer again and cut with the next grit. There was no difference and no tearout. then I took a Sycamore spindle and put it on the lathe. I rounded it over with my SRG and then took my skew that had been sharpened on the 350 grit wheel. It was then honed using a 1200 grit diamond hone and then stropped on my tormek. I cut half the spindle with this. Then I reground the skew using my 36 grit stone. I used it straight off the grinder without removing the burr. I got the same quality of cut. Again I am using the same light cut and forward speed.
This was quite shocking to me because I can tell you from experience that sharpening my hand planes and my carving tools to mirror finish makes a huge difference in the quality of cut.
Is there a reason to sharpen at higher grits. Yes. It's been proven that sharpening to higher grits promotes edge life. the second reason is that higher grits remove less steel and your tools will last longer. Very high grits like 600 remove so little steel that unless your sharpening skills are really good you may not grind all the way to the tip and not get a sharp tool. I learned this years ago when taking a class with Frank Sudol. He had us sharpening on a belt sander with 600 grit belt. I was not that good at sharpening and could not get a sharp edge. Now with better skills and good sharpening jigs I can easily get a perfect edge off my 350 grit wheel. Below are some of the projects

Attachments

• Box grouping.jpg
    Box grouping.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Red heart lidded box-3.jpg
    Red heart lidded box-3.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
My Friend John Jordan used to say that 60 grit was as high as you needed to go

I appreciate your experiments.

I have been on the bowl gouge course grit Jordan side for many years. My last matrix wheels were a 60 grit and 120. With CBN I have an 80 and a 180. 60 grit wheel was a gift from a turning supplies vendor with instructions to try it with the bowl gouge.
I have use the coarse grit for the bowl gouge and the finer grit for everything else.
Glad your study shows the finer grit does no harm.

I’ve been able to get surfaces requiring little sanding with my bowl gouge sharpened on the 60 and 80 grit wheels.
Quite a few of the top turners use coarser wheels for bowl gouges.
Finals I sand with 320. Bowl gouge pull cut on discs I sand with 320.

When David E did a class in my shop the first thing he did was swap the grinder set up to use the 180 for sharpening bowl gouges.
I swapped them back when he left.

Just don’t know if I can use a skew that hasn’t been stropped….
Part of the secret of getting a smooth surface is believing you will get one.

Last edited:
One demo I saw that will always stick with me was Eric Lofstrom. He tapped his skew on the lathe bed to dull it. He went to a 60 grit CBN wheel to refresh the edge, then stropped it. One shaving pass on his arm and the hair came off. Stropping is huge in skew performance.

I like watching Steve and his skew work. I am not good with the skew, but working with it. Steve likes the 15 degree sweep to the skew and a straight edge. I prefer the slightly rounded curve to my skews....

Check this video out about Steve from Mike Waldt. A good cause.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqFrZ32HWhE&t=1s

robo hippy

I agree that the sharpening stone doesn’t really impact the surface you achieve on the wood. It just impacts how much steel you remove from your tool. Going to a 180cbn a few years ago I definitely noticed my tools were lasting longer, and the sharpening process was quicker. A couple years ago I added a 600grit and again noticed that I remove less steel with it. Because of my wolverine setup I mostly use the 600 grit for all gouges with the Wolverine, and the 180 for scrapers and free handing. I expect my gouges to last a LONG time with the 600grit…probably wouldn’t really notice a difference if I had gone with 350 instead of 600.

It’s a very interesting subject. I don’t know any production turners here in the UK that hone any of their tools. A couple remove the burr in the flute of the gouge but that’s it. I do have a diamond hone and I have, very occasionally, used it to put a sharper edge on a skew for difficult wood but very rarely. I use all of my tools straight from a 180 CBN on a slow running grinder. I used to use a 120 white wheel and the edge seems very similar. I upgraded only because the white wheel had worn down considerably after years of use.

With good technique on the grinder you should remove very little steel, the aim being to just clean the bevel.

Richard

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Dead on Richard. I have noticed that my tools last a lot longer than they did when I started turning. I just used up my first bowl gouge that I got from Doug Thompson when he first started his business. Before that I would go through a gouge in a about a year or less. With the CBN wheels and many of my jigs locked into one position I remove almost no steel each time I sharpen. I was a little nervous about doing this test and grinding away my tools but even using the 36 grit it only took one light pass to get the edge. I did have to modify my grinder protective guards to make my jigs all work exactly the same so I could swap the tools from one wheel to another and not have to grind like crazy.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It’s a very interesting subject. I don’t know any production turners here in the UK that hone any of their tools. A couple remove the burr in the flute of the gouge but that’s it. I do have a diamond hone and I have, very occasionally, used it to put a sharper edge on a skew for difficult wood but very rarely. I use all of my tools straight from a 180 CBN on a slow running grinder. I used to use a 120 white wheel and the edge seems very similar. I upgraded only because the white wheel had worn down considerably after years of use.

With good technique on the grinder you should remove very little steel, the aim being to just clean the bevel.

Richard
Excellent profile of you in this months journal. Congratulations on that. Well deserved.

I just love good evidence. Thank you for taking the time and putting in the effort to produce such actionable information, John. Much appreciated.

John, thank you for sharing the results of your carefully carried out experimentation.

We all get impressions of what is going on during our day to day turning, but is not until we set aside time and effort to do some controlled experiments that we get good evidence for what we might have surmised is happening.

You will be aware that your findings don't align with those of Lacer & Wright, on Pg58, so some discussions may arise there.

And, yes, there is no doubt from my controlled experiments that finer grinds give longer lasting cutting edges with some tool steels benefitting more than others from that depending on what they are being used for and on what woods.

Last edited:
There are 4 articles in Am Woodturner that are of interest. Alan Lacer has an excellent article on honing in Am Woodturner Spring 2003. He has a second article (Lacer and Wright Summer 2009) with lots of photos of sharpened edges. He is mostly comparing the older grinding wheels and hand honing with a diamond hone, but also covers power honing . Tom Wirsing also shows similar photos of edges in June 2018. He is emphasizing CBN wheels. Finally Terry
Martin wrote "Rethinking Sharpening" in the June 2014 issue. He describes his own experience with using the Tormek. He is convinced that polishing a gouge to a higher finish lasts longer and cuts better. He also refers to an article by R Farrance with sophisticated tests that show a finer edge lasts longer.

Yes, the photographic evidence in that document is quite compelling. I’ve not seen any other photos to contradict their findings.

Keep in mind the width of the area covered by the photos included in that article. To quote the authors...

... at magnifications up to 200X.
The field of view at this magnification is approximately 3/64" wide.

Get out your ruler and see how wide that is. The chances are that your average ruler does even have 64th's on it, perhaps it might have 32nds, so 1 and a half of those or just over 1mm wide!

I know that 200x magnifications is useful to understanding the cutting edge performance of tool steels. However, the wood surface finish photos shown at half that magnification (100X) included in that article are of an area that is only 3/32"or just over 2mm wide.

At only just over 2mm wide I'm not sure that any of the off-the-tool wood surface differences shown in the images would be significant going by just those photos.

Last edited:
Whilst the high magnification used in the test may be good methodology, I feel this picture from the same document proves the point nicely.

IMG_9076.jpeg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Whilst the high magnification used in the test may be good methodology, I feel this picture from the same document proves the point nicely.

View attachment 60095

From my experience that difference is more technique than tool steel?

The photo shows tear-out and a clean cut.

I’d rather see a back side of the endgrain view.

I don’t get noticeable tear out with m2 unless the wood is punky.
Or I’m making a non bevel riding roughing cut.
A proper cut using a sharp M2 gouge with an Ellsworth grind will produce a clean cut like the one attributed to the 2060 gouge.

fibers need to be cut with longer supporting fibers behind them.

Tear out like that is common when the bevel is pointing toward the lathe instead of pointing toward the headstock.
Or cutting toward the tailstock.
Or coming off the bevel a bit.
Or using a dull tool
Or scraping

Tool steel isn’t the source of that tearout.

I’ve taught hundreds of students using M2 steel gouges. None could get away with that kind of tearout.
I would correct their cut.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I believe the suggestion is that it’s more about honing than the type of steel.

It’s difficult to determine cause and effect unless all the variables are controlled.

It may be that the honing which produces a micro bevel enabled proper control of the tool.

None of my students ever honed their bowl gouges.
They did not get tear out like that.
Just my experience.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
In my experience tearout has a lot of causes. It can be reduced tremendously by a proper feed rate of the tool. Cutting with a shear cut. Using a tool with a more acute edge. Sharp is essential but usually a freshly sharpened edge off the grinder will work. Tool dull faster than you think. We are running hundreds of feet of wood past that edge every minute. Any time you think your having to work at cutting stop and sharpen.

Bill, I am curious about your results as well, I can get the cleaner surface with a gouge ground/sharpened on an 80 grit wheel, and no honing or stropping. When hogging out, I do push way too hard when compared to a finish cut. 90% of my roughing cuts on bowls are with scrapers. For sure a scraper will leave a much rougher surface, and generally rougher than what you have there. One or two passes with a gouge and it looks like the bottom part of that bowl.

robo hippy

Back