• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

shaving brush

Has anyone turned a shaving brush? I was looking for a source of the brush tufts. Craft supplies has some brushes but none specifically for this purpose. I suppose I could get one and trim it to the correct size but would prefer to get one that was designed for the purpose. Does anyone know a good source for the brush tuft?

Thanks

Website
www.zionfire.com
Maybe.....

Actually, if you go surfing, they are also made of boar's bristle. We won't talk about the plastic stuff...

Badger is ferociously expensive, but of course, it's soft and doesn't much care about water and soap. Lasts a long time. Know any badger trappers??

I also found a site that is exclusively for "wet shavers", and most of them use brush and mug. Like 800+ members on that forum. I sent a post to the webmaster to see if they know of any sources. I'll let you know when he lets me know!

I wanted to make some a few years ago but couldn't find the brushes from anywhere (never tried the link above) so I bought some with cheap plastic handles and smacked them with a hammer. Instant handle-less brushes! Made some nice cocobola brushes before I started having such bad reactions to it.

They were real nice but since I have a full beard I didn't use it much, think it is still in the cabinet. Gave away the others I made. Post a picture when you finish one!

Website
cnew.org
Beleive it or not, Walgreens or your local drug store may have a shaving kit that's cheap. Take the brush and remove the bristle part for an insert in a wood replacement. I made a couple this way. Also tried on where the bristles were fused in plastic, trimming th plastic away to "make" a bristle section. Worked well but too much effort.

Back