• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shoe Covers

I'm frugal! When a pair of socks are worn out, I cut the sole out of them and use them over my other socks and shoes. Use and dump.
The only time yet I ran out of my own supply socks, I bought a lot from the nearest second hand shop. They were more than happy to collect a bag full, seems the get them in with other clothes but never sell any.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Yea I tried to convince my wife that bell bottoms were back in style. That would stop the shavings in socks and shoes. Maybe we could get a smock with really wide collars to go with the pants.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I wear shoe covers because the shoes I wear are Keen low rise hiking shoes. They have a nice wide toe-box and allow me to insert my custom orthotics. I also wear SmartWool socks year-round. Trying to remove tiny slivers, small chips and shavings is impossible from the socks, or that mesh tongue in the shoe. But they always find a way to migrate around to stab or stick me when I am not expecting it. Then I spend 20 minutes trying to remove it from the weave without it breaking into just smaller 'stabby' slivers.

I wear shoe covers because the shoes I wear are Keen low rise hiking shoes. They have a nice wide toe-box and allow me to insert my custom orthotics. I also wear SmartWool socks year-round. Trying to remove tiny slivers, small chips and shavings is impossible from the socks, or that mesh tongue in the shoe. But they always find a way to migrate around to stab or stick me when I am not expecting it. Then I spend 20 minutes trying to remove it from the weave without it breaking into just smaller 'stabby' slivers.
I typically wear 8" high hiking boots with orthopedic insoles for support of the knees, back etc...I just find them more comfortable after a day on my feet. And - no need for "spats".( I only wear long pants - but they too are fast dry, wicking, slightly stretchy fabrics.) It takes some time to find a good fitting brand for your feet, but it has made a good change. AND...Like you Donna, I ONLY wear high merino wool content socks. Smart wool is good...but I have begun to prefer Darn Tough. Made in your "neck of the woods".....and have a full replacement warranty if you wear them out, develop a hole, etc. Worth the little extra for me. I know it is counter intuitive for most folks still wearing cotton socks - but my feet are cooler in the summer, and warmer in the winter AND...much drier!
Further...I NEVER wear cotton next to my skin. Simply - because the reasons that cotton makes the best bath towels is why we should not wear cotton. It adsorbs and HOLDS moisture. It is not a "cooling" fabric as we have been marketed to. This is especially important for foot health, and "under-clothes" other than socks...:).
There some great brands of fully synthetic underwear, tee shirts, and pants out there that are made from recycled materials if that is one's resistance to explore these. But in reality - I can tell you that I feel 20 degrees cooler ( perception only of course) because of the moisture wicking - fast dry fabrics that I wear now..
T

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm tempted to go barefoot. I would track less sawdust into the house that would please my wife. Of course no socks to hold shavings.

John - I have a boot brush that has up facing, and side facing bristles. It sin a steel frame. That is mounted tot he floor at the entry/exit to my lathe room. Between that and the air hose....keeps me out of trouble. And - my toes are safer than they would be otherwise. :)

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I typically wear 8" high hiking boots with orthopedic insoles for support of the knees, back etc...I just find them more comfortable after a day on my feet. And - no need for "spats".( I only wear long pants - but they too are fast dry, wicking, slightly stretchy fabrics.) It takes some time to find a good fitting brand for your feet, but it has made a good change. AND...Like you Donna, I ONLY wear high merino wool content socks. Smart wool is good...but I have begun to prefer Darn Tough. Made in your "neck of the woods".....and have a full replacement warranty if you wear them out, develop a hole, etc. Worth the little extra for me. I know it is counter intuitive for most folks still wearing cotton socks - but my feet are cooler in the summer, and warmer in the winter AND...much drier!
Further...I NEVER wear cotton next to my skin. Simply - because the reasons that cotton makes the best bath towels is why we should not wear cotton. It adsorbs and HOLDS moisture. It is not a "cooling" fabric as we have been marketed to. This is especially important for foot health, and "under-clothes" other than socks...:).
There some great brands of fully synthetic underwear, tee shirts, and pants out there that are made from recycled materials if that is one's resistance to explore these. But in reality - I can tell you that I feel 20 degrees cooler ( perception only of course) because of the moisture wicking - fast dry fabrics that I wear now..
T
Great post, Tim. I've been exploring other sources of the merino wool clothing makers and have acquired some already. They are the way to go, IMHO. I cannot wear long pants in July and August; there have been 90 plus temps in May and June quite often. Once temps climb above 80F, it's shorts. But I wear those shoe covers year-round.

While my studio has A/C from a mini split, which is far more efficient than the large window installed unit I previously had, July and August in NH can have brutal days of 90+ temps with very high humidity. These are temps (for me) that when I walk outside from the studio, drive me to my knees before I make it to the house ---which does not have AC... only in the bedroom, which is an inefficient portable unit. As of today, we have had record breaking temps in New England for at least 16 straight days. And I'm doing an outdoor show right now :-(

Donna - OUCH...well- I hope you get a break in the weather soon. Please consider something about AC in your home...It really is not as much about your immediate comfort - as it is for humidity control, and the prevention of mold/mildew and rot in homes. We tend to think of it differently...but that is the truth - and in a matter of priority AC/dehumidification are first for the health of the structure ...which directly impacts the health of the occupants. Expensive? YES....But much cheaper than the structural decay and mold induced ailments that can occur when we have high heat and/or humidity for much of the year.

Back