• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sholom Gordon

Hello all,
I am a new member and I have just started my first wood turning project. A baseball bat.

I have a craftsman tube style 12” lathe.

I’m having a lot of trouble getting clean cuts and I am wondering if my lathe is rigid enough for. A 3” x 34” maple slug.

Attachments

• C9A631CE-5E7B-4B0D-A959-66775A42D9CE.jpeg
    C9A631CE-5E7B-4B0D-A959-66775A42D9CE.jpeg
    652.4 KB · Views: 31
  • A0281AC2-6008-4DD5-8BE0-25EAD14B5A59.jpeg
    A0281AC2-6008-4DD5-8BE0-25EAD14B5A59.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 33
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Welcome! You have come to the right place if you are seeking advice. From the looks of your pictured results, I think you need to sharpen your gouge(s) and also learn how to float the bevel - Appears you are approaching the wood with the tool in a scraper orientation , rather than letting the bevel float on the wood before lifting the tool handle until the cutting edge begins to cut. (ABC of turning - Anchor, Bevel, Cut) It looks much like the same results I often get on my Harbor Freight lathe when my tools start to get dull and I'm too stubborn to stop turning and go sharpen.... They want to rip and scrape and tear away wood fibers instead of cutting cleanly.

A higher quality lathe may be more resistant to allowing the wood or project to flex or wiggle, so it could be more forgiving of beginner use, but a properly sharpened tool properly presented to the spinning wood, you could get a nice clean cut even if you just had a home made lathe built from a half inch drill and some ball bearings... OTOH, a poor quality lathe kind of does force one to become more proficient in sharpening and tool usage, so that moving on to the likes of a Robust or OneWay, those hard learned habits may result in quicker results with less sanding at the end... IMHO (Maybe after I finally upgrade to that Jet I am dreaming of, I could kind of prove that idea out... after honing my skills on the Harbor Freight lathe I have now...)

Last edited:
Welcome. Some suggestions to consider.
- Join a local woodturning club, they are generally a bargain, very welcoming and helpful
- Get some instruction, climbing the learning cliff is much easier with instruction/training. Good training includes instruction on sharpening.
- Your tool rest may be low. I set the tool rest to cut at or slightly above center when I am cutting with a gouge.

Back