• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shop portable AC unit advice

When we built our shop/garage a few years back,we installed what they call a ‘package unit’. It’s a heat pump, but with the evaporator in the same box as the compressor. Because our fix it guy could get a 2 ton unit at a sweet price, we went with that. The shop is 22 x 20, with a half size second floor.
The unit is right behind the shop, with the air return cut through the wall. Ductwork was needed, but easy with the unfinished ceiling. I built an intake housing with two 20 x 20 filters, right behind me. The idea is that I get a pretty good airflow, in front to behind. Triple filters, with high quality electrostatic filters being the final.
This set-up has kept me comfortable, and I believe does a nice job clearing the air. Oh, and super quiet, as everything is outside.
A bit more involved than the small units, and a few more bucks, but really good bang for the buck.

I pulled the trigger and ordered the unit and vacuum pump. No warranty with a self-install, so I'll read the directions and decide if I feel lucky on a $600 dice roll. (but the odds favor MY house this time ;))

Of course right after spending this, I see a deal on an American Beauty for sale. Might be a very expensive week. :oops:

we installed what they call a ‘package unit’.
These work well. My dad had one for ~30 yrs. Typically used for commercial applications where there is no “utility room”. For a shop, one duct (supply or return) is all that is needed. A small squirrel cage fan, similar to those sold for drying carpet, set up to “roll the air”, can distribute/mix the air very well.

I really think you should consider the mini-split. It’s the best option, lowest AC cost, and most efficient. They also act as an amazing dehumidifier

I pulled the trigger and ordered the unit and vacuum pump. No warranty with a self-install, so I'll read the directions and decide if I feel lucky on a $600 dice roll. (but the odds favor MY house this time ;))

Of course right after spending this, I see a deal on an American Beauty for sale. Might be a very expensive week. :oops:

I'm a little concerned. The tracking on my mini split says just 1 box coming by FedEx on Wed. The description stated that it's 2 separate boxes. I'm hoping they haven't screwed up something.

Back