• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Should I be receiving a hard copy of AAW magazine?

Good morning,
Just wondering if I should be expecting a hard copy of the recent issue of AAW magazine? I have access to the e-version but was wondering about the print edition.
Also, should I be able to find my membership number somewhere? Thanks.

Edit: I discovered I a digital only member...that's fine with me! I just didn't want to miss a hard copy if one was coming.

Last edited:
Website
www.ovwg.org
I received a hard copy a month ago, so maybe check to see if your membership is updated to receive print copy's? Also if you sign in and go to my account on woodturner.org, click the View my Public Profile, then your member ID will be displayed there....

I received a hard copy a month ago, so maybe check to see if your membership is updated to receive print copy's? Also if you sign in and go to my account on woodturner.org, click the View my Public Profile, then your member ID will be displayed there....
Thanks Gabriel. I don't know where to see the option to receive the print version. Also my membership number is blank on the public profile tab.

Are there different levels of membership?

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Thanks Gabriel. I don't know where to see the option to receive the print version. Also my membership number is blank on the public profile tab.

Are there different levels of membership?
Yes especially if you started out with the "free trial" version .

I had a similar problem myself, but being a bit of a geek, I figured out my member ID by hovering over a few links (I think it was the link to view my own profile or something) and reading the URL which had the member ID tagged into it ..

I always assumed it was related to the fact that I started free trial version and then a bit later (when I scraped up the extra cash) I finally did upgrade to full member and paid the $60 - In order to do so, I had to email customer support (they give an email in their member support area somewhere I think) but after paying, it still took a little while, and some more emails to same person as before, and some patience, before things worked right in my member account area. I think it was due to needing to do a manual upgrade of my account as I don't believe the website programmer had thought through the process of adding user to database with ability to upgrade it... (just IMHO from how things worked for me at the time) There's the free membership, the student, the regular (Think it is 60 bucks a year) and corporate levels? Free trial only gave me access really to read the back issues of the AAW Journal (all the way back to the original Issue 1 Vol 1) I finally paid a full upgrade when I wanted to get a little more access, and a subscription to the current print copy.

Yes especially if you started out with the "free trial" version .

I had a similar problem myself, but being a bit of a geek, I figured out my member ID by hovering over a few links (I think it was the link to view my own profile or something) and reading the URL which had the member ID tagged into it ..

I always assumed it was related to the fact that I started free trial version and then a bit later (when I scraped up the extra cash) I finally did upgrade to full member and paid the $60 - In order to do so, I had to email customer support (they give an email in their member support area somewhere I think) but after paying, it still took a little while, and some more emails to same person as before, and some patience, before things worked right in my member account area. I think it was due to needing to do a manual upgrade of my account as I don't believe the website programmer had thought through the process of adding user to database with ability to upgrade it... (just IMHO from how things worked for me at the time) There's the free membership, the student, the regular (Think it is 60 bucks a year) and corporate levels? Free trial only gave me access really to read the back issues of the AAW Journal (all the way back to the original Issue 1 Vol 1) I finally paid a full upgrade when I wanted to get a little more access, and a subscription to the current print copy.
Thanks for the reply Brian. I discovered I am an e-copy only member. I will check out the member ID trick...

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
In the last couple of years, for new members, finding your member number on your profile page on the AAW website has been a hit-and-miss proposition, more miss than hit. It is interesting that in some cases longer-time members may find two different member numbers depending on the page that you are viewing. Brian, thanks for the tip, I hadn't discovered that one. It will come in handy when approving new forum members.

Paul, if you were qualified and joined using the free-for-ninety-days option then you can only get the e-copies of the journal. If you joined as a regular paying member, the cost is less if you opt for digital-only in place of the paper copy of the journal. Members who opt for the paper journal also have full digital access. Professional woodturners pay more than regular members and businesses pay even more.

Hello all I just reupped my membership and wanted to access past issues of the magazine. I do not remember where I need to go to view these. Can someone direct me? Thanks.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
wanted to access past issues of the magazine.
Hi John, when you log into the AAW website (woodturner.org), you should see an option to click on Publications. Follow this link, and then choose American Woodturner. Then, you will be taken to a backlog of all issues. You can also search for specific topics, authors, titles, etc…

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Hello all I just reupped my membership and wanted to access past issues of the magazine. I do not remember where I need to go to view these. Can someone direct me? Thanks.
Yeah, the AAW website isn't always the easiest thing to navigate. From https://www.woodturner.org/, sign in first. Then, from the menu at the top, hover your mouse over Resources, then in the menu that pops up, hover over Publications, then you can select American Woodturner. If you pause your mouse over something else in the process, other things will pop up and move everything around - makes it hard to "aim" at what you're aiming at.
Similar on your phone, but the menu is the icon with 3 bars [☰] next to where you sign in.
Or, just go here.

Yeah, the AAW website isn't always the easiest thing to navigate. From https://www.woodturner.org/, sign in first. Then, from the menu at the top, hover your mouse over Resources, then in the menu that pops up, hover over Publications, then you can select American Woodturner. If you pause your mouse over something else in the process, other things will pop up and move everything around - makes it hard to "aim" at what you're aiming at.
Similar on your phone, but the menu is the icon with 3 bars [☰] next to where you sign in.
Or, just go here.
Thank you. yes this site has alot to offer and at times it gets a little confusing. I have alot of catching up to reading past issues. I have been away for about 2 years and the issues stopped also. I believe it was right around the Pandemic. Thanks again.

Back