• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Signing Dark Wood?

Does anyone know of a source for ultra-fine white markers? At my local Staples store I found a silver liquid tip marker, but the point is not very fine, and it looks ugly when I use it on the bottom of a dark-colored piece, such as walnut. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you use an engraver or pyrography unit to burn your name into the wood, you might try the Birchwood-Casey Gold Stick Engraving Enhancer. It is a gold material that you rub into the signature you have engraved or burned and is usually available in stores that sell rifles-or you might try to reach the company on the web. Cindy Drozda uses it to sign her work.

Matt

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I find the dremel engraver works fine with or without filling in the letters with wax. I like the subtlety of it. I have to sign my hand mirrors where the signature shows so I just use the engraver and leave it unfilled. It doesn't slap you in the face but you can still see it easily.

Signing Dark Wood

For many years I have been using various Koh-I-Noor technical pens for signing wood, custom fishing rods, etc. Ink is available in many colors. Although they are not throw-aways, being relatively pricey :D

I usea vibrating, diamond tip engraver. Even on dark wood, it shows up OK.

Back