• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Simon Hope vs Trent Bosch hollowing stabalizing systems

Has anyone used both the Bosch and Hope hollowing stabalizing systems ?

How would you compare them ?

One turner told me that the locking nut on the Bosch leaves a dimple making it hard to reposition the tools angle after a lot of use where the Hope system used a round collar lock. Anyone experience this issue w Bosch ?

I was going w Bosch over elbow2 but now I'm confused ! Help.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I own the Simon Hope which I use with the bosch bars.
I have used the bosch system to hollow several HFs

Both work well. The Bosch system - the support system sits between you and the opening
The Hope system the support sits behind you. I prefer the Hope because I like being closer to the work and I feel like I have a little more control holding the bar versus pushing it with a handle.

Another personal attribute is I think I get better posture working the bar with the Hope than pushing the handle with the Bosch.

The Hope works great over the long bed of my 2436. When I’ve used the bosch, I’ve used my wife’s 2416 for the shortbed.
I could use the outboard on my 2436.

You may prefer being further back. You may feel you have more control using a handle.
Since I started using the bosch visualizer being close to the work to see the laser is not an issue.

So for me The Hope wins - holding the bar, better posture holding the bar, working on the long bed.

These may not be important to you or you may prefer using the handle and you may have better posture using the handle.

Also the Jamieson system is quite good - used it a lot.

I use the Bosch with 3/4" Jordan tools. I use it on my Rikon 70-220 with a 12.5" swing. My Jordan tools are a tight fit and I have had to sand a few set screw marks off the bar so it can be moved freely. There are soft tipped set screws available that would prevent that, but I've not found it to be a big enough problem that I've done anything about it.

I've not yet bothered to put a handle on the bar while hollowing with the Bosch. I just grip the knuckle that holds the bar. That may not work for all depending on the size of your hand and grip/wrist strength.

I've not used any other system than the Bosch. I chose it because it would fit and work on my smaller lathe. I'm very happy with it.

If your only concern with the Bosch is marks from the set screw, that is easily addressed. Can't speak to any of the other differences that Hockenbery addressed between the systems.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I have just the Trent Bosch hollowing rig, so no other to compare it to.
I hollow most pieces partway without the stabilizer and some without it at all. And Trent's system lets you use hold and move the tool the same way with and without the stabilizer (same stance, same grip, same body motion). And it's easy to put on and off as it just goes in the banjo.

If I couldn't slide my headstock down and stand at the end of the lathe, I'd probably have a different opinion.

I do get marks on the tools from the set screws (both from the handles and from the stabilizer). But it hasn't been an issue - I stroke the tool with a file every so often to knock down the ridges.

I have only used the Bosch Stabilizer hollowing setup. It works well. It takes a lot of the shock out of hollowing and is a good solid system. I have the entire system with camera to monitor the position of the cutter inside the piece. That works extremely well and, setup properly, it allows me to know exactly where I am with regard to the outer wall of the piece. It makes it almost impossible to break through the wall as long as you are monitoring the screen. I use it with Bosch tools and don't know whether it works with other tools, but I assume that it would work with other 5/8" shaft tools (or 3/4" if you have that model).

I also have the Bosch system and love it. I have not yet had a problem with the set screws marring the shafts. My space is limited, so I cannot slide my headstock down and turn at the end of the lathe. My solution is that I hollow in reverse giving me a comfortable stance in front of the lathe. Trent is cheerful to make his tools bent to the right rather than the left, which is what makes this possible.

What I like most about the Bosch Stabilizer/Hollowing setup is the camera which allows you to easily see where you're cutting inside the hollow form. Also, it really does (repeating this again), my arms, shoulders, and upper body don't take the force of the hollowing as without it, but I suppose that is part of the purpose of all hollowing setups. Anyway, I have not been sorry I bought it earlier this year. Each time I use it, I think how much more it allows me to pay attention to the design, carving, and finishing of the form than before I had it. I think it cuts down the hollowing time which is kind of drudgery for me.

Just a note on the video portion of the hollowing process. I wanted one, but could not afford the high cost. There are many videos out there showing how to make your own, quite easily I'd add. I spent less than $100 making mine. It's not as nice looking as the purchased systems, but works just as well.

I have the Hope system and have not used the Bosch system. The hoilowing works fine. I did buy the Hope video, but it is nowhere what the Bosch Visualizer is. I didn’t buy the Bosch, because I did want a camera system and the Hope camera was far less than the Bosch. The Hope camera has long ago failed. They take a lot of vibration. As Tim indicated, you can put together your own system. I had an old laptop and bough an inspection camera for less than $20. If I was buying today, I would not purchase the camera system.

The joints in the Bosch system I had my hands on were much tighter than the ones on the Hope system I used. Less slop = better control of the extended cutter height . The Bosch is easier to set up as it just drops into the banjo, plus it needs less bed length.

Can you buy the Hope system in the US? When I looked into it 2 years ago there was no distributor and Hope was not selling directly to this side due to insurance reasons.

I haven't actually used the Bosch so am not sure if you have to steer the cutter from the handle using the tool support stop pin for leverage. I like guiding the cutter near the vessel as Lyle Jamieson demonstrates in his videos. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

I have a Clark hollower with a very solid two post support system for the video camera. It stays put, and there are few things more annoying than having your tool cutting somewhere unexpected because the laser or camera support vibrated out of position. Whatever guide setup you buy or fabricate (I much prefer a camera) the support arrangement needs to be light but stout.

I have the Bosch system and like it. It has been a big step up from the original Elbo hollower. For some reason the Bosch bars seem more “substantial” than the Jordan bars. Both get a little pitted from the set screws but that’s never been a problem.

I have the Bosch system and like it. It has been a big step up from the original Elbo hollower. For some reason the Bosch bars seem more “substantial” than the Jordan bars. Both get a little pitted from the set screws but that’s never been a problem.
I have both the Bosch and Jordan bars. I really can’t tell a difference as far as use. I like Jordan because the insert is held in with a set screw and is easier to sharpen vs. the Bosch that is glued in. Both are good IMO.

I also have the Hope bars with the carbide cutter (similar to the Hunter cutters) but have never got the hang of using them. I prefer the insert type.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
like Jordan because the insert is held in with a set screw and is easier to sharpen vs. the Bosch that is glued in. Both are good IMO.
Lots of folks like the set screws….
I prefer the CA glue ins. But i have built up a bias against set screws

I have had set screws and bolts come loose while hollowing ( could be my fault)
I have stripped set screws - definitely my fault
Countless set screws have been lost forever in shavings - natural phenomenon

Started hollowing with CA glue ins in 1995. Have not had one come loose yet while hollowing.
Did see a CA glued tip come loose in a demo - dull tool, hard dry wood, tool got really hot. Of coarse heat breaks down CA
I think it was the guys first demo- he was probably too nervous to go to the grinder.

I did have one set screw come loose, surely my fault. Haver never stripped a set screw or lost a set screw on my hollowing bars. Bosch bars are fine, just a pain IMO to sharpen the same each time. I use both Bosch and Jordan. Each have +’s and -’s.

I have the Trent Bosch 3/4 and 5/8. I use them quite frequently and have had no problems. On punky or softer woods, I like the standard hss cutters better.

Havent used either system (I use a Jamieson), but will comment on visualizers/cameras - they beat the heck out of a laser IMO. No need to buy a “system”. There are many ways to build one. Mine uses a small “hidden” security type camera, with a video bnc to vga signal converter output to an old 20” vga monitor. Camera and converter were $65, had the monitor.

I have the Hope system and have not used the Bosch system. The hoilowing works fine. I did buy the Hope video, but it is nowhere what the Bosch Visualizer is. I didn’t buy the Bosch, because I did want a camera system and the Hope camera was far less than the Bosch. The Hope camera has long ago failed. They take a lot of vibration. As Tim indicated, you can put together your own system. I had an old laptop and bough an inspection camera for less than $20. If I was buying today, I would not purchase the camera system.
I did the same on the Bosch system, I used copper pipe and fittings, an existing monitor and a $20 camera. It works very well. I may upgrade to solid bar steel if I can find a good T fitting. I think it will lessen the vibration.

I did the same on the Bosch system, I used copper pipe and fittings, an existing monitor and a $20 camera. It works very well. I may upgrade to solid bar steel if I can find a good T fitting. I think it will lessen the vibration.
You could spray expanding foam into the hollow copper pipe, that'll help reduce vibration.

I do get marks on the tools from the set screws (both from the handles and from the stabilizer). But it hasn't been an issue - I stroke the tool with a file every so often to knock down the ridges.
Dave, I too have the Trent Bosch stabilizing system. Like you, I have noticed shallow dimples caused by set screws. I ordered brass tipped set screws from McMaster-Carr.com. The new set screws have resolved the dimple issue IMO. By the way, I love the system so far.

Just a note on the video portion of the hollowing process. I wanted one, but could not afford the high cost. There are many videos out there showing how to make your own, quite easily I'd add. I spent less than $100 making mine. It's not as nice looking as the purchased systems, but works just as well.
I spent less than $15 plus a free old laptop.

This! I adapted an old webcam to screw onto the Bosch laser bars and ran usb cord to a tablet. The video is great for $80 in parts.

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
Dave, I too have the Trent Bosch stabilizing system. Like you, I have noticed shallow dimples caused by set screws. I ordered brass tipped set screws from McMaster-Carr.com. The new set screws have resolved the dimple issue IMO. By the way, I love the system so far.
Larry, I have thought about switching to the brass tipped screws. But, I have had a hard time convincing myself that they would be better. Half my mind tells me that - "yes, brass tips won't mar the holloiwing bars." But the other half of my mind says - "softer brass tips might give or slip with the vibrations and force of the cutting over time and maybe allow the bar to slip and rotate downward during a cut ". Have you had any issues with that happening?

Ricc, I haven't had them long enough to analyze the brass tipped set screws. Hopefully, your fears will be put to rest. Time will tell.
"softer brass tips might give or slip with the vibrations and force of the cutting over time and maybe allow the bar to slip and rotate downward during a cut ".

Larry, I have thought about switching to the brass tipped screws. But, I have had a hard time convincing myself that they would be better. Half my mind tells me that - "yes, brass tips won't mar the holloiwing bars." But the other half of my mind says - "softer brass tips might give or slip with the vibrations and force of the cutting over time and maybe allow the bar to slip and rotate downward during a cut ". Have you had any issues with that happening?
For straight bars there is nothing to be conerned about, same for swan neck bars where the cutting edge is on or very near the centerline of the bar (the Bosch bars are, dont know about the Hope bars), as long as the straight part of the bar is being supported and not the curved portion.

If the cutting edge extends from centerline, then a torque is developed (proportional to the distance). Normal cutting may not cause a slip but a catch could. If the bar has a flat machined into it for the set screw to rest on, then even a catch will not cause it to slip. A flat can be created fairly easily with a file (the bars are mild steel) without affecting performance. The nicks dont effect anything unless the are large enough to prevent moving the bar in and out of the receiving mount.

Back