• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sky Hook lifting device

To whomever, in another recent thread, posted a video showing the custom machining of a replacement Jet lathe spindle, thank you for bringing me down a rabbit hole!

Anyway, during this particular video (he's machining parts of a very large bench vise), he plugs the Sky Hook lifting jig for bringing heavy pieces up onto the machines. I think to myself, "The folks on the woodturning forum may like this idea." So, here's their website. A quick search showed they are expen$ive, but maybe the industrious among us could cobble together their own version with a rachet hand crank and some rigging. If you have, share what you've bought or built. Sky Hook website (several versions and accessories) and Youtube video showing it in action, starting at about the 4 minute mark.
https://skyhook.cc/products.html

(Edit for proper video link)
Sky Hook video (at about 4-min mark)

This is a fun video channel to watch. He goes in-depth about whatever he's machining, typically several videos per project. All metal work. And metal lathe gear that makes a Robust or Oneway look like a tiny jeweler's lathe.

Last edited:
Whoops, what was that?! Link fixed to show the Sky Hook on a milling machine.

A bitter pill to swallow ($$), right up until you throw out your back lifting that lump of wood while getting it mounted on the lathe!

I wouldn't buy one either for the $2000 and up price, but the shadetree engineer in me keep thinking up ideas for a DIY project. Then again, I no longer own a 24" lathe.

Harbor Freight must have some of the components to build something similar at home. OH! Home Depot for a heavy barn door track and trolley kit (very popular in the home improvement business now), a 2-way ratcheting boat trailer boat hoist, and locating at least three ceiling framing members to mount it to. The boat hoist gets mounted to a barn door trolly... come on, use your imaginations!

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Or, just get a car engine hoist , the ones with extendable boom.... Or I could DIY a frame based on a tow truck hoist and use my 12V portable winch... lots of ways to rig up something to handle big logs most of which likely would weigh considerably less than an average car engine.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I've got a trolley that runs in a unistrut channel with a block and tackle hoist from HF that works fine for the biggest logs I've put on the lathe (maybe 150 lbs). No need for a comealong or chain hoist for those kinds of weights. Could use a better way to actually hold the logs while lifting them, the lifting straps I'm using aren't very convenient.

Weld or bolt a receiver to your lathe stand and get one of these.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Weld or bolt a receiver to your lathe stand and get one of these.
I'd knock off some of those limbs with a chainsaw before I put that deer on the lathe.

Engine lifts are workable and they often break down to a tolerable footprint for storage, but when assembled for use, they hog up a large amount of floor space. Assembling for use and disassembling for storage can take 15-20 minutes, tempting one to muscle the very weight they were purchased to lift. They tend to start around $250-$300 on CList.

Another option that should get consideration is a Hoyer lift.
IMG_0525.jpeg
These are used by caregivers for lifting patients and moving them. Folding units can handle about 350 lbs, while standard units can handle weights at or above 450 lbs. They can be found on CList in the $200 range.

Back