• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sorby Proedge vs grinder

Well, if I remember some what correctly, the Pro Edge when it first came out was around $600. Good to see prices have gone down. New Rikon 1 hp grinder about 220 on sale, I got my first one for under 200. I did go with D Way wheels, so maybe 180 each, and cheaper from Ken Rizza. Mostly with the Pro Edge, It just didn't 'look' like what I wanted... They all work...

robo hippy

Which old boys?
I'm one of 'em. I suppose old is relative - I'm only 70, but I do have some old relatives. I hand sharpen all of my edged tools on a variety of stones and hone on a leather strop with buffing compound. I was taught by my father how to sharpen by hand. I've tried wheels but usually burn the steel. Had a Tormek 20 or so years ago but did not care for all the jigs and different setups - for the most part I can get a needy edge sharp again in less time than it takes to set up the Tormek. The water wheel for sharpening has been around for centuries, especially in Japan, but I sold it due to lack of use.

I do use a grinding wheel to reshape a chipped or otherwise damaged edge, but only as much as it takes to get things started.

I suppose hand sharpening is as much about ego as anything else. Sharpening is about getting a sharp edge, though, and how it's done really doesn't matter when it is applied to the wood.

Bowl gouge is a different critter, though. I may have to invest in something to handle those if I don't get it right pretty soon.

I've always sharpened my edged tools by hand on stones. But turning gouges are giving me fits and I'm just not getting it right. So, I've been looking for something cost effective. Because I've never cared for the hollow grind produced by wheels I haven't seriously considered them. There doesn't seem to be anything like the Sorby ProEdge at what I'd consider a more reasonable price.

Everybody in the US is out of the ProEdge. Some are predicting availability as late as November of 2021, some as early as June, 2021. Like so many other things, this tool's production and shipment to retailers has been affected by the Pandemic. I exchanged messages with Sorby on their Facebook page and was told US retailers are already receiving their orders, but the only place I found it was on Amazon, sold by Taylor Woodworks of Columbia, MO, and shipped from an Amazon location in Ohio. The link is to the ProEdge Plus, which is not a Sorby model, but does include the jigs found in the Deluxe model set.

Where can 2" X 30½" belts be purchased for this tool at the previously mentioned $3-$4 (about 20-30% lower than OEM) range?

Well, if you want a flat grind, there are CBN wheels with flat sides. Not sure how that would work though. There have been many adaptations to other types of belt grinders. I think the main problem is finding the variety of belts that are available for the Sorby Pro Edge...

robo hippy

I've always sharpened my edged tools by hand on stones. But turning gouges are giving me fits and I'm just not getting it right. So, I've been looking for something cost effective. Because I've never cared for the hollow grind produced by wheels I haven't seriously considered them. There doesn't seem to be anything like the Sorby ProEdge at what I'd consider a more reasonable price.

Everybody in the US is out of the ProEdge. Some are predicting availability as late as November of 2021, some as early as June, 2021. Like so many other things, this tool's production and shipment to retailers has been affected by the Pandemic. I exchanged messages with Sorby on their Facebook page and was told US retailers are already receiving their orders, but the only place I found it was on Amazon, sold by Taylor Woodworks of Columbia, MO, and shipped from an Amazon location in Ohio. The link is to the ProEdge Plus, which is not a Sorby model, but does include the jigs found in the Deluxe model set.

Where can 2" X 30½" belts be purchased for this tool at the previously mentioned $3-$4 (about 20-30% lower than OEM) range?

They have Ceramic and Zirconium
any size you want. Been using them first with my 2x27 and now with my 2x36 belt sanding.

Last edited:
You can find belts to fit the Proedge at Supergrit. Belt size is 2” X 30 1./2"

WIlliam - how do they compare to original Sorby belts for quality/durability?

Thanks

Kalamazoo 2 X 48 belt grinder. Belts are easy to find in any grit and cheap. I cloned the Oneway Vari-grind and Wolvervine jig in the picture. I sharpen all bowl gouges with this setup but use the Ellsworth jig on some. Freehand spindle gouges and skews. Got a Baldor grinder, but it sees limited use.IMG_4371.JPG

Back