• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Steve Palmer

Hello!! I live in West Central Wisconsin. I did some woodturning in High School (a long, long time ago) and are looking forward to getting into woodturning. I have made some furniture and of course done home repair, but as I look toward retirement I am thinking I can make a little extra income in woodworking and woodturning. I have been on YouTube learning what I can about woodturning and intend to join a woodturning club. I have invested in a new midi-lathe for the shop at home. I am in the process of getting the shop set up for it, but unfortunately the area is not heated. My Father enjoyed woodworking in his later years and my Grandfather and Great Grandfather were both carpenters on my father's side.

Probably about 10 years ago I went to a garage sale and picked up a complete Stanley #78 Plane which I had never seen any kind of plane except a Bench Plane or a Block Plane. It was in a box of otherwise junk tools for $3 and I asked the lady if I could just buy the plane. I ended up paying 25 cents for it. Well being fascinated at that marvel of engineering I started looking into Stanley Planes that was the most expensive 25 cents I ever spent. I now collect Stanley Planes (mainly), Stanley Squares, Stanley T-Bevels and other miscellaneous old tools I feel compelled I need to have!!! I am sure I probably have somewhere around 100 planes and of course still don't have them all and of course still have some on the bucket list!!! LOL

Of course growing up in Minnesota and living in Minnesota and Wisconsin most of my life, fishing is my other distraction. My wife and I have 2 children and 8 grandchildren (soon to be 11 as my daughter and her husband are in the process of adopting 3 more). We spend most weekends and vacations at an RV campground Spring through Fall.
I guess that's enough about me. I look forward to getting to know some of you!​
PLEASE READ THIS!!!! One thing I want to leave with everyone that reads this page. In 1983 I lost two fingertips to a radial arm saw incident. I'm not going to call it an accident because I can think of at least 2 or 3 unsafe acts which caused the incident.

JUST REMEMBER BEFORE YOU START A TASK, DOUBLE CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE PERFORMING IT SAFELY!!!

Welcome to the forum. Woodturning, some woodworking, and fishing are some of my hobbies. Wife keeps asking when I'm going to get a cheap hobby. Anyone know of one? If so, PM and I'll let my wife read it.
Good statement at the end of your post.

Welcome to the forum. Woodturning, some woodworking, and fishing are some of my hobbies. Wife keeps asking when I'm going to get a cheap hobby. Anyone know of one? If so, PM and I'll let my wife read it.
Good statement at the end of your post.
John let me know when you find the inexpensive hobby. Bird watching might come to mind but traveling might be involved very quickly there!!! LOL

I was actually born just North of Nashville, both my parents were from middle Tennessee, and my sister lives in Franklin and brother in Waverly. My father was transferred to Ohio and then to Minnesota when I was young so I grew up in the Northland. I love to visit Tennessee as we would always visit my grandparents and other relatives and friends there when I was younger. I don't visit often enough as I have gotten older.

Steve, again, welcome to the forum. Check into the membership and find a local chapter which is a great way to learn. Many states have symposiums that offer demonstrations by top wood turners from around the world.

Welcome aboard Steve. My plane collection may not be as extensive as yours but counting the wooden one am at either 28 or 32 as I have not counted in a while. I have two 78s and one new in the box was given to me, however I think that was the last one added. TAW has a symposium in Franklin this month and you could visit the folks.

Welcome aboard Steve. My plane collection may not be as extensive as yours but counting the wooden one am at either 28 or 32 as I have not counted in a while. I have two 78s and one new in the box was given to me, however I think that was the last one added. TAW has a symposium in Franklin this month and you could visit the folks.
Thanks for the welcome Gerald!!! Sounds like you have a nice collection!! I haven't counted lately and probably don't dare to count my planes LOL When it comes to planes, I admit I'm not a minimalist!!! LOL

Welcome aboard, Steve. Great biography. Thanks for the safety warning.
Thanks for the welcome Bill!! I figure if I can change one person's behavior that makes them safer, I have in, some little way, brought some good out of a bad outcome. Plus saved someone the physical pain and emotion of replaying the incident many times to see where you went wrong and how you could have prevented it. It is amazing you don't know how much you depend on those fingertips until you lose them!! I had to relearn to type and play piano & keyboards a little different now.

I had a sears radial arm saw but wanted to sell it. I found it was recalled, and then did not want to pass it on.
At the time they offered $100.00 for the motor and carriage. I understand it has been reduced since then. I did that and also sold the table on craigs list.
I found as I aged it became harder to control as it tended to climb and self feed as I crosscut and I did not feel in control.

Stu

I had a sears radial arm saw but wanted to sell it. I found it was recalled, and then did not want to pass it on.
At the time they offered $100.00 for the motor and carriage. I understand it has been reduced since then. I did that and also sold the table on craigs list.
I found as I aged it became harder to control as it tended to climb and self feed as I crosscut and I did not feel in control.

Stu
Stu I was actually ripping stock when I was injured. Radial arms are really nice for crosscutting and you can actually get a longer crosscut from one than you can get from a 12" slide miter saw. I do still have and use mine. I do not use it for ripping any more. I also have a table saw now for that purpose!!! I guess I am a little older and wiser.

Welcome from SE Texas!
Great intro/bio!
Safety is always an important consideration. I have been on the receiving end of accidents---I'm one of the guys that gets to start the fixing process after they happen.

Thanks for the welcome David. I try to encourage people to get ahead of the accidents. It's a lot more productive!! BTW are you a fresh water fisherman or saltwater?

Back