• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Steven Ganci

Hello everyone,

I'm 68 years old and have recently rejoined AAW after a long break, having been a member in the mid to late 90s. I've been turning on and off for almost 30 years, and, recently getting over some neck and back problems, have started up again in earnest. My lathe is a very big, home made concrete and steel beast I put together in 1997 (I had no money for a Powermatic back then) powered with a Leeson 1.5 hp dc motor and controller I bought from Denver Ulery. It's modeled on the old Nichols lathe (I think Denver might have been a relative of Nichols). Bed, banjo, tailstock and tool rest parts all cut by me with a hacksaw from scrap steel and welded by a machine shop. One chuck and one tool rest are all I've used. I've never turned on a commercial lathe since I gave up on the old Craftsman tubular-bed lathe I started with, but I'm thinking I may soon need something with a sliding or rotating headstock because of my neck/back issues. But the lathe and the Oneway Stronghold chuck and live center I use all still work flawlessly.
For years I've mostly turned hollow forms with very small openings (inspired by David Ellsworth) using home made tools, along with a few bowls and platters - some quite large and some very some small.
Woodturning has provided me an amazing amount of pleasure through the years, and I'll always be thankful to AAW, which really got me going in this craft, and those master turners (like Richard Raffan, David Ellsworth, Al Stirt, and others) from whom I've learned so much. It's a pleasure to return as a member - AAW is a great resource and I continue to learn a lot from the many contributors to the forums.

Attachments

• lathe1.jpg
    lathe1.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 34
  • lathe2.jpg
    lathe2.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 34
  • bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 33
  • vessels.jpg
    vessels.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 34

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Steven, welcome from Chattanooga! I enjoyed reading your introduction. Very cool lathe! A beast indeed. The hollowforms are also super nice. Kudos on the tiny openings.

Welcome! We have something in common, hf’s with small openings inspired by Ellsworth. Quite a nice home built lathe, and shop made hollowing tools.

I have a pivot HS lathe for the ergonomic reasons you mention, a Nova Galaxi. Nova now has the Nebula as well, and Vicmarc has the VL 240 I think it is. Send me a pm if you want to discuss pivot HS lathes.

Thanks, Doug. I've noticed your work on the forum - really excellent, and beautiful, turnings. Something about hollow forms I never get tired of. Yes, I think in the next year I'll have to get either a pivot HS lathe like a nebula or maybe a lathe I can turn outboard on like a Oneway.
Ellsworth is a real inspiration. Especially his turning 'philosophy' or attitude, regardless of the small-opening forms. His book has been really useful to me.

Back