• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stone tools

This last week was exciting for me. Thanksgiving might have been fun, but the three days preceeding it were filled with some of the most spiritual I've ever had in working with wood. The Alutiq Museum played host to a Maori carver from New Zealand. He taught us some of the ancient arts of wood carving with stone tools. I can't express the feeling of working with a stone adz as well as the other stone tools. The star of the event was the ancient head of a stone adz that was found by one of the museum workers in our local area. We were able to restore it back into shape and work with it. There is a unique feeling of working with something that hadn't been touched in a thousand years.

Back