• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

SWAT Novice Questions

OK, I'm committed, and/but have some simple questions. Should one bring a brief write-up for each piece to be in the gallery? I'd like to answer the question "Why on earth did you bring THAT?" Is a tie required, jacket, at the banquet? Would anyone want to trade something interesting for a chunk of oak tree? And some more like that.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Well, you can bring the explanations if you like, they certainly are not required. But if it is interesting, people will stop and read it. It is a great place to stroll the day away.And they don't put a limit on how many (as opposed to most instant galleries).

The banquet is casual, I usually don the good sandals, shorts and a loud hawaiian shirt.

As far as oak, hmm, there's alot down here. but you never now.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Texian said:
......I'd like to answer the question "Why on earth did you bring THAT?"
"Just because I wanted to" or, "the wife said to get it out of the house", is probably sufficient, but you can add more if you would like.

Texian said:
......Is a tie required, jacket, at the banquet?
Only if you are giving the keynote address . . . . . the standard attire is jeans and a t-shirt. If you really want to get dressy, then Dockers and a Polo shirt would fit that bill.

Texian said:
......Would anyone want to trade something interesting for a chunk of oak tree? And some more like that.
Almost any kind of deal can be had if you find the right person. Depends on what you think is interesting and what the other person thinks about oak. I have some very interesting and very dry and very hard Bois D'Arc.:D

Bill

Steve,
Thanks for your response. Jeans and t-shirt are my usual wear, but will check the closet for a better shirt. Have no museum/artistic quality stuff to show. Just a few pieces to show my learning curve and maybe encourage someone else. Would these be appropriate?

Bill,
Thanks also. Seems like my wife just wants to get my hermit butt off the property for a few days, every five or six years. She seems interested in the stuff for spouses but refuses to come with me this time. Maybe next year. Meanwhile, surely someone from Newfoundland or New Zealand will want a couple chunks of oak. And I would certainly be interested in a piece of super hard Bois D'Arc. My homemade tools with cobalt-enhanced tool bits will cut steel. Have rough-turned two 14" dia. bowls (and two smaller ones) from the oak, and am worn out, pooped. Coated the outside with thin layer of paraffin, filled the inside with moist shavings, hope they will dry ok and I will live long enough to finish turn them.

Back