• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Symposium photos

If you're here at the Symposium, these photos may look familiar. If you're missing out...dial in here and have a look around: Today's Walkabout

I'll add a new Walkabout photos page to the AWW site each day of the Symposium. You can dial into the homepage to access each day's additions - upper lefthand side of the page.

Best regards,
Ed Davidson
AAW Webmaster

Thanks ED,

Man I wish time and work would of allowed me to attend!!

Carpet under all those demo lathes - even with drop cloths the house keeping staff is gonna hate some folks!!

Wilford

Wilford Bickel said:
Carpet under all those demo lathes - even with drop cloths the house keeping staff is gonna hate some folks!!

I had a chance to drop down to the Symposium today. I didn't go in the demo rooms, but walked through the IG and was in the vendor's area. While in the vendor's area, I noticed that at least one of the vendor demonstrators was using the portable DC connected to a floor sweeper fitting to clean up the shavings. I would think that this is an example of the consideration given the hotel and its staff by vendors and demonstrators alike. The housekeeping staff may not be too happy, but I'm sure they'll appreciate the attempts by the conventioneers to keep the place clean.

Website
www.woodturner.org
Thanks for coming to the symposium Henry - it was nice to meet you, even though it was brief.

Great pictures Ed!

Everyone - we are having minor problems with the website for the stuff that are my responsibilities. I'll get it fixed next week and in the meantime Ed is putting some temporary patches in place. (Why did this have to happen in sync with the symposium??)

Henry - I was just joking about the carpet. Just noted that most trade shows I have attended with other groups were always on concrete and hard on the body. This looks like a very nice location and I am sure everyone is working to keep it that way!

I love the pictures but my favorites are the youth ones. To see their rapt attention to Bonnie Klein and all the turners helping them bodes well for the future of our organization!

Wilford

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Jeff Jilg said:
Everyone - we are having minor problems with the website for the stuff that are my responsibilities. I'll get it fixed next week and in the meantime Ed is putting some temporary patches in place.
That explains the white screen that I got yesterday evening when I tried to log on that said, "It is all Jeff Jilg's fault".

Bill

Website
www.woodturner.org
I didn't know the error messages still had my name in them! :)

The website error is now resolved. Ed Davidson or Paul Vonk will be restoring a couple of the pages which they temporarily rewrote.

For the other geeks out there like me, the ColdFusion server service was in some weird state where it was handling some database calls but not others. It was just our luck that some of the database calls affected the homepage and the membership description page. To my knowledge this was the first time we experienced this particular error in the last 3 years. Anyhow it should all be back to normal tomorrow with a Picture of the Day on the homepage.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Wilford the carpet was nice for us but drove the vendors crazy. Imagine developing a lathe that has no vibration and then having to set it on carpert. All the lathes were rocking so you really couldn't get a sense of how smooth they ran.

Images of Auction Pieces

Are there any images on the AAW website of the collaboration top which was auctioned off for a record-setting amount during the 2006 Symposium?

Back