• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tap and die sets

I am looking for large tap and die set for wood. I am interested in 2” set but can only find up to 1 1/2”. If anyone has info on larger sets please let me know. Thanks.

May I ask what you are going to use it for?
Back around 1990 I was asked to make a bench screw and nut in 2 1/2" -2 thread and of course there isn't a set made that would do it. The solution was to set up a router carriage on the wood lathe controlled by a 4 pitch acme screw linked to the head stock spindle at a 2 to 1 ratio to get the 2 pitch thread. The router was mounted with it's axis in line with the lathe ways for the female thread and at 90 degrees to the lathe axis for the male thread.
PXL_20210426_184639392.jpg The bit pictured for female thread or nut is the actual one that I used and the male thread was cut with a 60 degree bit similar to the one shown.
101_1340.JPG This is a picture of threading using my machine lathe which is capable of being set down to 4 pitch. When cutting short threads as shown here both the male and female threads can be cut as shown. To make a longer male thread I set the router at a 30 degree angle to the lathe axis and cut the thread with a 60 degree dovetail mill.
101_1214.JPG This is a photo of the best available (25mm or 1") tap and die set by "Dieter Schmid" but they also stop at 62 mm or 1 1/2" (the price will scare you). Note the tap supplied with these sets is a far superior design then any of the other sets available.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have not seen taps.or.dies that.large but havent looked in the better machinist catalogs. The various threading machines can go that large but you would want to buy the course thread pitch. The threading machines wont thread a spindle however. Ha d chased threads would work but I dont know where to buy a really course thread. I have a. Antique one that is 8TPI but only have the female.threader and havent had the time to make the Male version.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
My mistake I wrote 1 1/2 instead of 2 1/2 but I did have the mm correct.

Yes but at what pitch?
He doesn't say what he wants to thread so not clear what pitch he needs. I have a shop-built threader that uses a router and cuts a 10 TPI thread. I have used it successfully for containers up to 4.5 inches diameter. I have not explored details of commercial units.

Sooo this will probably not be helpful, but you could sort of make your own. You get the proper nut and cut some voids in it. Same with the screw. It's harder to do then to write. I've made a 1 1/4 x8 tpi for my lathe. It was pretty hard to cut the metal with a triangle file. But someone smarter than me could probably do it easier.
R

If you have a threading jig for your lathe you can get different thread pitch spindles for most jigs. I have machined several sets of custom sized spindle sets for several turners over the years that wanted a different thread pitch for their jig. If you can get a couple of nuts and a threaded rod the size you need for making your threads you just need to come up with a way to mount a face plate or chuck onto the threaded rod to hold your pieces you want to thread. You can build a support sled to ride on the lathe ways and hold the threaded rod that threads through the nuts which copies the thread pitch onto the piece you are cutting threads on. Your headstock just needs a collet holding a 60 degree double angle cutter that cuts the male or female threads.

Back