• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

tdrice (Terence Rice)

My interest in woodworking really began when I worked for my uncle as a carpenter during the summers while attending college. Due to several changes of majors and occasional lapses in study habits it took me seven years to complete a four year degree. By the time I finally received my Bachelors degree in (are you ready for this?) PHILOSOPHY, I had become a pretty good carpenter, which was a good thing because I couldn't find anyone willing to pay me to sit around and think. I wound up as a general contractor building custom houses and remodeling mostly in the mountains in Colorado.
I also had a hobby workshop where I built furniture for my wife and I and friends and family as relief from the business world. I had seen clips of lathe work but never done any and was curious about it. While attending the Denver woodworkers show in 1997 I saw the booth of the "Front Range Woodturners". I was amazed by the beautiful creations but decided that I had neither the time nor the money to get involved with a another hobby. A couple of months later another contractor working in the area asked if I had a nail gun he could borrow. I had one that I really didn't like and said I would sell it. He had a lathe he had won and offered to trade and I accepted. It was a Chinese round tube contraption but it made the wood go round and with it and a $20 set of tools from the local hardware store and a dog-eared instruction book I started turning.

I was instantly hooked!!!!

I never wanted to do flatwork again. I joined The Front Range Woodturners in Denver and, later the Rocky Mountain Woodturners in Fort Collins, where I met some of the nicest people I have ever known. Many demonstrations and classes later I feel that I have become a reasonably decent turner.
Because I have developed COPD I have moved from Colorado to Coos Bay, Oregon where the air is much thicker and where I have joined the South Coast Woodturners and hope to keep turning for many more years.

Sandy and I miss you guys. I hope the thicker air helps, they haven't installed any more up here.

How are you liking Coos Bay?

We all get to be philosophical about something.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
never wanted to do flatwork again. I joined The Front Range Woodturners in Denver and, later the Rocky Mountain Woodturners in Fort Collins, where I met some of the nicest people I have ever known. Many demonstrations and classes later I feel that I have become a reasonably decent turner.

we may have met.

I have had the pleasure of attending a couple of the rocky mountain club meetings.
On the right night the Rocky Mountain club has more talent in the audience than most of the regional symposiums.

Our Tampa club has four members who have demonstrated at the AAW. Pretty good until you attend a meeting of the Rocky Mountain group and see all the talent.

Got to be in their symposium one year too!

Last edited:
Back