• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Thermoplastic splint material

I think there might be enough medical professionals on here that can answer my question.

Does the thermoplastic that is used to make a custom splint retain its shape or would it re-form after getting warm again?

I have a really sensitive finger I guess and it seems like I get hot curls from dry wood coming right back onto the side of my index finger. I don't want to use a glove but I thought maybe if I made a little shield out of that stuff and slipped it over my finger leaving the backside open but held together with something fairly weak like masking tape so my finger wouldn't get ripped off in the event of a catch.

Or I'm open to other ideas if anyone has them. I guess there is always the farmers fix all. (black electricians tape)

if it were hot enough to melt the latex finger cot, your finger would be cooked. Don’t think there’s an issue unless your lathe is in a furnace!
It's just the way I hold the gouge on some cuts. My index finger is kind of hooked over the top of the gouge and the left edge of my hand is resting on the robust tool rest. The curls come out of the flute and hit on the side of my left index finger. Gets pretty hot in that one spot. That's why I was thinking something with a little thickness to cut down on the heat transfer too.

Put a thimble under the cot, the kind seamstresses use. Or use two cots, one over the other. Doubt there is an issue. Temp to melt latex is much higher than the temp to burn a finger.

Amazon even sells a leather thimble

Attachments

• IMG_2871.png
    IMG_2871.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I used to have a bowl turner's callus on my left hand pinky and ring finger. No more. Since I do all of my roughing with scrapers, that greatly reduces the shavings going over my fingers. Now, all finish cuts are very light, so again, no abrasion. I do roll the flutes to 45 to 90 degrees to also reduce the friction. An underhand grip with the left hand also gets that hand out of the way.

robo hippy

I used to have a bowl turner's callus on my left hand pinky and ring finger. No more. Since I do all of my roughing with scrapers, that greatly reduces the shavings going over my fingers. Now, all finish cuts are very light, so again, no abrasion. I do roll the flutes to 45 to 90 degrees to also reduce the friction. An underhand grip with the left hand also gets that hand out of the way.

robo hippy
I do way too much sanding. I noticed a big callous on my right thumb the other day and it coincides exactly where the angle drill rubs when sanding.

Worked too many years in a factory, my hand doesn't like doing an underhand hold for a gouge.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
@Sam Fleisher I don't believe a finger cot will eliminate the heat you want to prevent. How about some of that self-adhesive bandaging material (only clings to itself). You can even add some thin foam for extra insulation. :) I've got several rolls of green stuff I used to use several decades ago ... can't remember why I used it!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
It's just the way I hold the gouge on some cuts.
A sloooowwww fix.
One thing I learned to do was use either hand forward. It took a few years to get good with the off hand.
I find changing hands often directs the shaving away from me as well as letting me see the curve better.

Saw these on Amazon IMG_0410.jpeg

I, too, do not think a finger cot will work since latex gloves transmit heat very well.

Al's suggestion is great. A similar answer would be to learn to hold the tool differently with whatever hand is currently forward. If you're holding overhand, switch to underhand, or vice versa.

I recognize that there are strong opinions on gloves while turning and in general I tend toward worrying about safety. However, in the winter I turn nearly frozen wood and the shavings are super cold slamming into my hand. I use a elastic/leather carpenter's glove and it works well. Snug but flexible. Nothing dangling to get hung up. If you got a bike glove, which has cut off fingers, would that help? David Ellsworth takes regular leather gloves and cuts the fingers back. You could try cutting all the fingers back to nubs except the one that gets too hot, and cut that back to the minimum needed length.

Saw these while looking for the others and it made me think. Velcro? hmm I have some velcro strips I'll cut up tomorrow and make a little shield out of that. Probably more safe if I make it so it's barely connected so it could tear loose easier instead of popping my finger off. And if that doesn't work then on to the next experiment.

Attachments

• IMG_20230828_223843602.jpg
    IMG_20230828_223843602.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Didn't get to the velcro today. Last night I found some knit gloves that had the bottom side dipped in rubber. On sale for $1.11. So I cut the fingers off. Worked well but I thought they might unravel so I put some superglue on the cut edge. Definitely aren't going to fray but they sure are uncomfortable now!

So today more searching and found another option. Weight lifting gloves. Look to be less material than carpenter framing gloves so hopefully won't catch on anything.

Attachments

• 81vIfrIJChL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81vIfrIJChL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 6
Sam, these anti-vibration gloves from HF are similar to the ones you found and have worked well for me https://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-finger-antivibration-gloves-x-large-95545.html
I'll have to take a look at them next time I'm in there.

The ones I pictured, they are pretty light stretchy fabric (blue part). I had already turned what I wanted before they were delivered today so I don't know how heat resistant they will be.

They do have some loops on the two middle fingers that make them pretty easy to get off. Can see them in the pic.

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
I'll have to take a look at them next time I'm in there.

The ones I pictured, they are pretty light stretchy fabric (blue part). I had already turned what I wanted before they were delivered today so I don't know how heat resistant they will be.

They do have some loops on the two middle fingers that make them pretty easy to get off. Can see them in the pic.
Sam - Being a golfer I use a golf glove with the fingers cut off. They fit very snug so no loose fabric. I also use them for carving with my Vortex carver and my wood burner.

Sam - Being a golfer I use a golf glove with the fingers cut off. They fit very snug so no loose fabric. I also use them for carving with my Vortex carver and my wood burner.
The golfing ones I see do look good. There is also the option of just some cheapo leather driving gloves.

I got something like this years ago for carving, not quite the same but I bet this would work well for you.

Description - Single Roll SAF-T-TAPE, Size - 3/4" x 30 yd., Color - Green, Self-Adhering Gauze (1 Roll) https://a.co/d/dR1g4nq

Semi-related - last time I was turning walnut I noticed that I’ve built up a skin sensitivity on my wrist (left one that accumulates a pile of shavings). My wife suggested gardening sleeves which I plan on ordering before the next time I turn walnut.

I got something like this years ago for carving, not quite the same but I bet this would work well for you.

Description - Single Roll SAF-T-TAPE, Size - 3/4" x 30 yd., Color - Green, Self-Adhering Gauze (1 Roll) https://a.co/d/dR1g4nq

Semi-related - last time I was turning walnut I noticed that I’ve built up a skin sensitivity on my wrist (left one that accumulates a pile of shavings). My wife suggested gardening sleeves which I plan on ordering before the next time I turn walnut.
The tape probably would be the best because you could adjust thickness and position. I wonder how much I would go through in a day? I like to take breaks, go get lunch. Nap. Sometimes 2 naps. Pretty hectic schedule here you see!

I noticed a rash on my side the day before.. Hope it's not a reaction to walnut.

I have a really sensitive finger I guess and it seems like I get hot curls from dry wood coming right back onto the side of my index finger.
I’m confused. First post said you needed to protect ypur index finger yet now the posts are all about fingerless gloves which do nothing for that exposed index finger.

finger less gloves cover about half of a finger, fortunately the half that needs it. And I'm practicing changing my grip too then it moves to the edge of my hand. Depending on if I hook one finger over the gouge or all of them.

The tape probably would be the best because you could adjust thickness and position. I wonder how much I would go through in a day? I like to take breaks, go get lunch. Nap. Sometimes 2 naps. Pretty hectic schedule here you see!

I noticed a rash on my side the day before.. Hope it's not a reaction to walnut.
"Vet wrap" is pretty cheap, and can be found in a 2" width. If you remove carefully, you may be able to roll it back on after a break.

@Sam Fleisher I don't believe a finger cot will eliminate the heat you want to prevent. How about some of that self-adhesive bandaging material (only clings to itself). You can even add some thin foam for extra insulation. :) I've got several rolls of green stuff I used to use several decades ago ... can't remember why I used it!
What do you use now? Or it's not a problem for you?

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
What do you use now? Or it's not a problem for you?
Generally not a problem these days ... I've only turned about 4 dozen spin tops in the past year. My last 'real turning' was completed in August 2022. :( I used to wear an anti-vibration glove with the fingers cut off to prevent hot shavings from hitting my hand, or just a change in hand position - or both.

Look for “gel finger cap”. I lost my thumb at the knuckle a few years back and used them while the end was healing and tender. They have a gel like inside with and outer covering similar to a cloth wrap bandage.

I ended up ordering some of that sticks to itself wrap and then I found some cheap finger splints that I'll look into cutting the metal or whatever is in there so it will bend and use that as a kind of shield. Probably just till I get tired of that and just learn a different grip.

While I appreciate the general disapproval for gloves, I prefer using leather gloves with fingertips cut out for dry turnings that can spit out some hot shavings.

Back