• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Thom Schuck

Hellos Fellow Woodturning geniuss. My name is Thom Schuck and I live in Portland Oregon. I turn sitting in my wheelchair. For a few years I was building birdhouses. My legs got so bad I could no longer stand. I am turning using a really nice 1983 Shopsmith Mark V. When my legs went, I went now what? After my engineering pals fiddled with my machine and I bought a new powerchair I discovered how to use the lathe. I love turning. I started with the original set of Shopsmith chisels. Then I went to Woodcraft and met my mentor Rich. I am a real tool nut. Its a genuine problem. I started buying Richard Sorby tools. Then I had to sharpen them so I picked up a sweet Rikon grinder and outfitted it was the Wolverine grinding system. Oh boy! Then I called Doug Thompson. What a guy! I started buying Doug’s tools. Then I started chatting it up with Cindy Drozda. Like I said I LOVE tools. I just bought my first Crown PM Rougher. I am the worst turner on the planet. I love spindle work. I make candlesticks. My undergrad is in Technical Woodcraft. I spent my professional life owning a custom fine art frame shop. I had not touched a lathe in decades. I did not know what a chuck was? I do now…. My biggest problem is my wife keeps parking the new car in my shop! So be it! My health is not good. My life span is greatly compromised. I am angry I did not discover the freedom of turning earlier in my years. I LOVE running my Shopsmith. What a hoot. Yes I had a full on woodshop with a full time wood guy that built hardwood frames. We sold them on a national basis to other shops that had high end clientele. I kept my shop on the map for 25 years. Then I went to see a neurologist. Talk about a buzz kill! So you will see me pop up from time to time asking some of the most basic questions ever. I am OCD to the core so I love to get things “perfect”. Give me a tree and I will return with a box of toothpicks. I read a lot. I read everything I can get my hands on. The one thing I do not do at all is politics. NONE! I will be around….
Regards,
Thomas L. Schuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy and welcome from Texas.

Welcome.
Perhaps contact Chris Grace, I'm sure he'll have some useful tips!

Hellos Fellow Woodturning geniuss. My name is Thom Schuck and I live in Portland Oregon. I turn sitting in my wheelchair. For a few years I was building birdhouses. My legs got so bad I could no longer stand. I am turning using a really nice 1983 Shopsmith Mark V. When my legs went, I went now what? After my engineering pals fiddled with my machine and I bought a new powerchair I discovered how to use the lathe. I love turning. I started with the original set of Shopsmith chisels. Then I went to Woodcraft and met my mentor Rich. I am a real tool nut. Its a genuine problem. I started buying Richard Sorby tools. Then I had to sharpen them so I picked up a sweet Rikon grinder and outfitted it was the Wolverine grinding system. Oh boy! Then I called Doug Thompson. What a guy! I started buying Doug’s tools. Then I started chatting it up with Cindy Drozda. Like I said I LOVE tools. I just bought my first Crown PM Rougher. I am the worst turner on the planet. I love spindle work. I make candlesticks. My undergrad is in Technical Woodcraft. I spent my professional life owning a custom fine art frame shop. I had not touched a lathe in decades. I did not know what a chuck was? I do now…. My biggest problem is my wife keeps parking the new car in my shop! So be it! My health is not good. My life span is greatly compromised. I am angry I did not discover the freedom of turning earlier in my years. I LOVE running my Shopsmith. What a hoot. Yes I had a full on woodshop with a full time wood guy that built hardwood frames. We sold them on a national basis to other shops that had high end clientele. I kept my shop on the map for 25 years. Then I went to see a neurologist. Talk about a buzz kill! So you will see me pop up from time to time asking some of the most basic questions ever. I am OCD to the core so I love to get things “perfect”. Give me a tree and I will return with a box of toothpicks. I read a lot. I read everything I can get my hands on. The one thing I do not do at all is politics. NONE! I will be around….
Regards,
Thomas L. Schuck, Ph.D., MBA, Blah, Blah Blah…..
Thanks for your guidance but I still am unable to locate any tabs that lead me to be able to change my intro. I am using an iPad and have learned over time that things often appear differently. If an administrator can help me that would be cool. I want to REMOVE my education credits after my name. If someone can do that this would be very cool. If not then perhaps you can wipe all the introduction completly? I want my education merits removed plus I bought a new lathe. With that I want to become more active on your forum. It’s been a huge help for me reading what others have posted. So with that can you take away my intro with the really poor spelling and then I can update it with my new Laguna 1216 Lathe. Since I am a wheelchair turner I built my own super snazzy stand that fits my new powerchair like a glove. I am quite proud that I did all of the work sitting in my new Permobi powerchair. It’s a Rolls Royce of powerchairs that was gifted to me by my team of doctors. At $38,750 bucks it’s one Bad Boy machine. I now can safely grow my skills on my new lathe that is perfect for what I do. My stand is built like I would have build a piece of furniture. It’s overkill all the way. That said can you delet my intro and I will put up a new glowing review? Then I will bug all of you asking a million and one questions. Thank You much for your intrest and help! I am here to stay!
Your Pal,
Thom Schuck
Portland, Oregon

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Thom! I went ahead and removed your education credits for you. I might suggest keeping the information about your Shopsmith though. A few members on this forum (and maybe soon-to-be-new members) have Shopsmiths, so you might end up as a valuable resource. Even considering you use your Laguna now. That said, look at the top of your post and see if you see three dots next to Watch. This should allow you to edit your post yourself. See reference photo:

Screen Shot 2023-09-11 at 8.50.00 AM.png

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Hi Thom! I went ahead and removed your education credits for you. I might suggest keeping the information about your Shopsmith though. A few members on this forum (and maybe soon-to-be-new members) have Shopsmiths, so you might end up as a valuable resource. Even considering you use your Laguna now. That said, look at the top of your post and see if you see three dots next to Watch. This should allow you to edit your post yourself. See reference photo:

View attachment 55619
Michael, That may be only Available to Moderators or other Higher-status members than a Plebe like me or Thom - I looked at several of my old original posts, and I have no option to edit (In fact I don't see Jump to new button either, and no 3 dots next to "Watch" button... So might not be available to everyone...even on their own posts? (I can only edit my own posts for a short time after posting them, I have noticed..)

Thom, welcome!
The passion you shared with us is a reflection of this membership. Many of us have issues but putting a block of wood on the lathe and poking a sharp stick at it makes it all go away. We do ot do politics either!

Back