• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Thompson Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lathe has been SOLD.

This is a custom-built THOMPSON Lathe.
It has a 5 HP Motor driving a "Dana Hydrostatic Speed Variator" which will give the full RPM from 0-to 1800-forward and reverse
with such power even at just a few RPM that no other machine that I know of could deliver.
The headstock comprises a 1 3/4" Marine grade S/S shaft, running in(4) heavy-duty bearings.
The tailstock and tool saddle run on precision radial bearings. Both lock to a central "Screw" rod via "Half Nuts"
This means that when the half nuts are released, the saddles will move smoothly along the bed ways until they are in the approx position,
and then locked to the shaft, which can then be wound back or forth with precision, and when locked down, they WILL NOT MOVE !!
It has an outboard turning capacity of 60 inches (5 ft) but will swing to the floor if the supports are removed.
This machine is as good today as the day I bought it.( Actually much better since modifications)
It also has a long "Boring Bar" that when placed in the tailstock saddle, will take out the center of a tall hollow piece with ease.
I have bits for this up to 4" and believe me, this takes a LOT of power (no problem for this machine)
The Lathe is heavy but will break down into 4 main sections. I use an engine hoist to move the sections, and the hoist will come with the lathe
You will need a flatbed trailer to take delivery of this machine. Don"t even think you can put this in a van!!! The hoist will not go that high.
The price is $3000 or the best offer.

The lathe has been SOLD.

All the best.
Dennis

Attachments

• DANA AND MOTOR.JPG
    DANA AND MOTOR.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 174
  • DRIVE AND SPINDLE.JPG
    DRIVE AND SPINDLE.JPG
    385.1 KB · Views: 170
  • HALF NUT.JPG
    HALF NUT.JPG
    328.8 KB · Views: 174
  • HEADSTOCK.JPG
    HEADSTOCK.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 193
  • LONG SHOT.JPG
    LONG SHOT.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 191
  • MOTOR AND SHAFT.JPG
    MOTOR AND SHAFT.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 181
  • MOTOR FRONT.JPG
    MOTOR FRONT.JPG
    330.6 KB · Views: 159
  • OUTBOARD.JPG
    OUTBOARD.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by a moderator:
"Reminds me of a Nichols lathe. Never heard of a Thompson Lathe."
Richard. This lathe was made by Master machinist (and woodturner) "Jim Thompson " in Greenville S.C It is a one-of-a-kind machine, and I don't think there is another one like it. I know of only one other Thompson lathe and it is a very different design than mine, and that was sold to (or even made for) David Ellsworth.
Dennis

THE LATHE HAS BEEN SOLD!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back