• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Three cpap machines

My step son's father died. In his fathers belongings there were three c-pap machines. They all pump air pretty well. . They have replaceable filters at the intakes. Would these work as respirators and what kind of mask can I get to hook up to them. A co worker of my wife has the machine to sterilize them, (A respiratory therapist) I have my own c-pap machine and I suppose I could use the spare mask that came with it. I can still wear safety glasses but it doesn't really shield the face.

I have one in the house, one in the camper and a spare so 3 myself not including the wife's machine. All 4 of ours run on 120v so I'm guessing you would need a long cord to stay plugged in. I have had the mask that covers the nose and mouth, I suppose that would work but you would go through filters pretty quick. I'm thinking it would trash the CPAP fairly fast in a very dusty environment. It would tether you down pretty close to the machine unless you found a way to carry it on your person, then your still tethered to the power cord. They do make portable battery packs for them but I have not used one, I don't think they are inexpensive though. You'd need to wear a separate face shield over your face to protect your eyes/nose, etc. I can't think of any way it would be beneficial to set something up to use one. IMHO

I have one in the house, one in the camper and a spare so 3 myself not including the wife's machine. All 4 of ours run on 120v so I'm guessing you would need a long cord to stay plugged in. I have had the mask that covers the nose and mouth, I suppose that would work but you would go through filters pretty quick. I'm thinking it would trash the CPAP fairly fast in a very dusty environment. It would tether you down pretty close to the machine unless you found a way to carry it on your person, then your still tethered to the power cord. They do make portable battery packs for them but I have not used one, I don't think they are inexpensive though. You'd need to wear a separate face shield over your face to protect your eyes/nose, etc. I can't think of any way it would be beneficial to set something up to use one. IMHO

Thanks. actually, I can easily sit the machine in the next room where it isn't dusty and run the hose/pipe through the wall and across the ceiling to hang down at the lathe. . I'll have to think about it some more.

Well, I have a couple of them that I don't use any more. I switched to a 'mandibular advancement device' which is the mouth guard thing, and I like it a lot better. The CPAP machines would have sufficient air flow to keep a positive pressure face mask set up going. My guess is that the filter on the CPAP would not be up to standards for dust control. I would expect that you would have to fabricate a filter of some sort, maybe even stacking a couple of the ones for the PP dust masks together. This could vary a lot depending on the amount of pressure your machine is set up for. I think it would be a pain to fabricate a mask for your face that would work any where near what the ones that are designed for it do. I did consider that, and the problem is the neoprene fitting that goes around your beard and chin.... I do have one friend that got a mask set up that they use in operating rooms, which is kind of a total head and shoulder covering, and it seems to work well. Not sure what else is out there that could be used. I doubt that there would be any necessity of sterilizing the hose if you are using it in the wood shop, unless you are trying to moisturize the air as it comes through, which shouldn't be necessary since the PP dust masks flow over and around your face and you don't inhale it directly.

robo hippy

I use mine with my Vesaflo 300. The Cpap hose fits right into the helmet and when I turn up Cpap to max, it provides more than enough airflow with a 20 feet extension. I use it as an external fresh air supply system. The unit is installed in a dust proof enclosure and has a feed to the outside. No filter needed, unless you wish to filter the outside air from spiders and other friendly s.

In a former life, I was a Registered Respiratory Therapist, and did alot of CPAP and BiPAP setups. When forcing air directly into the nose or mouth, there is a dehydration effect, which is countered by the reservoir of distilled water. If you convert it for use as a downdraft device, then the moisture isn't necessary. Don't try moving the machine with water in the tank, as you will probably seriously damage the electronics. I prefer the portability of my Trend Airshield, although I find the earmuffs to be almost useless.

Old thread. I did give up my CPAP machine a few years back after getting my braces off. Couldn't use it any more and went for a 'mandibular advancement device'. Far more comfortable to use, and it works at least as well. Far easier to carry around as well.... You do need an orthodontist to make them for you, if you want a good one. My orthodontist told me to get one of the cheap $30 ones on line and try it out first. I had no problems at all adapting to it.

robo hippy

My orthodontist suggested it. I had braces on for 3 years, never knew my teeth and jaw were still moving around and not in a good way. I mentioned to my orthodontist that my mouth was coming open multiple times during the night. My jaw was not stressed any more, so I wasn't 'clenching' my teeth at night. He suggested the device. My physician gave me a prescription after trying out the cheap on line one. The device doubles as a retainer to keep my teeth in line. Much happier with my device than I was with the CPAP machine. I had no trouble adjusting to having my lower jaw moved slightly forward for sleeping. I guess that does bother some people. Mostly I just slept a lot better...

robo hippy

There is another side to C and BiPAP vs a device. I tried the device first and then later discovered I had central apnea which the BIPAP works on . Now Phillips has recalled all their machines so there will probably be a bunch of them available if anyone looking.

This is interesting, because I had wondered about using one of my older CPAP machines as an air pump. If it weren't so far to the outside of the shop...I would have tried this. The small intake filter is cause for concern tho. I live in an area with more species of plant life than anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere. SO...one can imagine the potential pollen issues with that tiny, thin piece of "felt" like material.

Back