• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Too many tools?

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Back to tools… I make mostly bowls, spindle work, and small doodads. Deep hollowing isn’t something that’s interested me. I have adopted a personal mantra that less is better. I believe I have few turning tools compared with most folks who’ve been turning more than 5-10 years. If I were to count it would probably be about 15, 20 max. Of that selection, only 1/2 get used regularly. Whenever I look at catalogs or browse turning tools at stores, I just can’t justify adding another when what I have does just fine. Part of that is a financial consideration but I think a majority is that I can do what I need with the moderate, run-of-the-mill selection of what I have.

I'm afraid when beginners come to the club meetings they are worry they need as many tools as I have accumulated in over 20 years of turning!! I make a point of doing a demo where I turn a bowl with just one tool, a David Ellsworth gouge.

Emiliano, this is a great basis for any demo. Good on ya!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
John, I noticed that your walk was a bit unusual. Now I know why. ;)

Now, now, now......let's not be making assumptions! :D Ha, ha, ha......!

-----odie-----

Website
www.billbulloch.com
You can never have too many tools. After all, the one who dies with the most tools, wins!

The problem with this is that when you do die the wife might sell your tools for half of "WHAT YOU TOLD HER YOU PAID FOR THEM".

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
The problem with this is that when you do die the wife might sell your tools for half of "WHAT YOU TOLD HER YOU PAID FOR THEM".

:eek: If I understand that right......your wife sells your $10,000 widget you told her you paid $3,000.......for $1,500.....?

I need to start going to more estate sales! :rolleyes:

-----odie-----

odie.....always go thru the miscellaneous boxes.....u can find value in the $5 box.....a lot of times the estate people will split an item up....ie one part in one box and another part in another box.....sometimes after the final bid u can buy from the winner because all he wanted was something else in the box

Back