• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tool organization inspiration

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

The Steps of 5S​

5S was created in Japan, and the original “S” terms were in Japanese, so English translations for each of the five steps may vary. The basic ideas and the connections between them are easy to understand, though.

Step NameJapanese termExplanation
1. SortSeiri (tidiness)Remove unnecessary items from each area
2. Set In OrderSeiton (orderliness)Organize and identify storage for efficient use
3. ShineSeiso (cleanliness)Clean and inspect each area regularly
4. StandardizeSeiketsu (standardization)Incorporate 5S into standard operating procedures
5. SustainShitsuke (discipline)Assign responsibility, track progress, and continue the cycle

============================================

Sorry @Mike Johnson ......had to look it up. :)

I'd say I'm pretty good at #2.......the rest are mediocre to non-existent! o_O

-----odie-----

My current system, plus another shelf, a rolling cabinet to the left (various sandpaper, hollowing tools, drill bits, etc.), and a fixed cabinet below the tool rack for miscellaneous.
Oh man, I love all the chuck and jaw organization here! I still need to figure out how to handle jaws and chucks in my shop...

Thank you to everyone for the lively follow up on this question! I definitely didn't accomplish everything I could have with this, but it is soooooo much better than a heap of tools underneath the router table!

I already didnt use the bottom rung of my lumber rack, so this just converted a bunch of blank wall space into a lot more space for organization. I used the wood from the crate that the Orion came in, which seemed like a poetic use for the broken down crate. I definitely incorporated ideas that I saw posted in this thread, and I thank you all for the contributions!

Attachments

• 20210601_165342.jpg
    20210601_165342.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210601_165330.jpg
    20210601_165330.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 45
Thirty some years ago I worked maintenance in a large engineering and manufacturing company, I had a wall covered in peg board that I painted and all of the shop tools had a specific location marked and outlined where they were stored for quick access when needed. The only drawback was having to lock up the shop when I was working on equipment in the plant. 5S concepts have been around a long time, the Japanese figured out a way to market and sell the concepts by documenting the process and writing books about the concept and charging people to attend training to do the obvious. The military has done these concepts forever, you need to be organized to feed, cloth, train, transport and motivate an armed force if you want to survive. The Japanese are a very disciplined people derived from a society that was influenced by Martial Arts (Military Discipline) for thousands of years, everything they do is based on a learned discipline, their writing, preparing food, making tea, entering a home, business meetings, making furniture, building houses, land scaping, pruning trees, raking sand and gravel in a garden.

Oh man, I love all the chuck and jaw organization here! I still need to figure out how to handle jaws and chucks in my shop...
I store my 3 chucks in a drawer with the jaws removed. I have about 9 sets of jaws I keep in individual zip lock bags lined up in the drawer in order of size. Not as sophisticated a solution as others have done, but cheap and easy.

Back