• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tool Rests

I have a Nova 3000 and I am not impressed with the tool rest provided. If anyone knows who makes the round tool rests please let me know.

There is a nice modular system available at Craft Supplies (and I'm sure others as well) with precision ground round bars available in various lengths. You purchase the tool post separately and whichever length of the interchangeble bars you wish. Also, Oneway has some very nice stainless steel curved tool rests-if you do bowls, these are great. One is for interior and one for exterior. Go to www.woodturnerscatalog.com

Garmar said:
I have a Nova 3000 and I am not impressed with the tool rest provided. If anyone knows who makes the round tool rests please let me know.

I have that lathe. What is it about the tool rest that troubles you? It is designed with a forward slant to bring tool support closer to the work than is possible with a round tool rest of anywhere near the overall strength or rigidity at increasing distance from the post. The ability to snuggle the rest in close over the centerline of convex work or below centerline on concave helps greatly in tool control and leverage.

I merely improved the silliness of a sharp rear edge by draw filing a very modest arc, similar to the Delta rest I had been turning on for years.

Quick gripe on the Craft Supply rests. Ya gotta use thread lock on them. Nothing worse that a rest vibrating loose when you're down in a bowl.

Dietrich

P.S.(don't underestimate your local ironworks shop. Yellow pages it and tell them what you need. Most can whip it right out for you custom in minimal time. Take them nice round things and you'll end up with a custom rest for every job)

Thanks for all the information, I think I have found the one I want.

Sean Troy said:
The best I've seen by far are John Lea tool rests. He can customize it just for your needs. www.woodturningtools.net

I'll second that. You can even design your own and send him a CAD drawing and he can give you exactly what you're looking for. He'll let you know what the price will be & get your okay before he starts making it. His prices are very reasonable in my opinion.

Round tool rests

I have a DVR and added a set of round tool rests. I purchased mine from Best Wood Tools, http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/. Nice folks to deal with.

I purchased three different straight rests, the short one is nice for getting in close to short work. I liked them enough that I added the curved rests to the set.

You should be aware that the longer rests can flex if you take aggressive cuts. For that reason I usually use the stock cast iron rest for roughing out, and then switch to the round rests for final profiling and finishing. The box rest is also a nice item to have.

I haven't had a problem with the rests unscrewing from the post. They include a brass washer with each tool post. It holds very well for me.

Jeff

FWIW- the modular rest sold by CSUSA is made by Best Tools. I have used them for years and love them. I can only think of once or twice they have ever loosened, not what I consider a problem. We could get into the whole round vs. flat rool rests debate again, but all I'll say is that these work great for me.

I originally bought the set straight from CSUSA bought added a few pieces straight from Best Tools this past summer in Lex. Great people to talk to. Small company but growing and expanding their product line.

Back