• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tool Storage

As the number of woodturning tools in my under the lathe bed rack increased I was running out of room. I had seen some double row wall racks that solved some of that problem, but the tools in the lower row presented a way to slice one's hand when reaching for the upper row. As the tools spread out over the wall they became less and less accessible. I wanted a way to keep the tools close at hand, stored many tools and did not threaten my limbs. A lazy-susan came to mind. I welded pipe to form the main frame of the stand and built rotating tables from discs of MDF. the lower disc has holes to hold the butt end of the tools and when cut out the inner disc forms the upper support. A vertical column made from 1x4 holds the two discs. A smaller set of discs is mounted below for shorter tools. The business ends of the tools are all safely out of the way either up high or below the upper disc. The rack is always within reach and a turn of the disc brings tools from the other side into reach. The gouges are all on one side arranged by size. The scrapers by size on the 20240323_141727.jpgopposite side. The lower rack has shorter gouges and skews as well as a mini-rack for the tiny tools.20240323_141804.jpg20240323_141804.jpg

really nice solution if one has adequate floor space. Consider attaching magnets where the flute meets the wood up top if the tools aren’t stable, though you angled it such that they likely are. Good job. I’d love one!

I actually do have little magnets glued into the top tool rest to keep them in. Richard Raffan objected to magnets because they might magnetize the tool and cause some drag on the toolrest. So far in several years of use I have not experienced that problem.

Back