• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Toolrest storage

For those with a lot of toolrests, can you show us how you store them. Toolrests are big and heavy. I'm starting to accumulate quite a few and need ideas.

I use a mechanic's cart from Harbor Freight as a stand for my grinder. I keep the tool rests in one of the drawers on the cart. It keeps the rests close at hand while I'm turning, literally two steps from where I normally stand.

Attachments

• Tool Rest Storage.jpg
    Tool Rest Storage.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 50
With a limited size workshop, I went for a solution fitting the empty space under my lathe bed extension. It's on wheels. Rarely used toolrests are stashed high on a shelf.
So far satisfied with it.

Attachments

• _20220115_135212.JPG
    _20220115_135212.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 70
  • _20220115_135242.JPG
    _20220115_135242.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have a small cabinet that that holds other tools sanding supplies my cole jaws and other odds and ends. On the side are my tool rests.

Attachments

• 20220115_070243.jpg
    20220115_070243.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 69
I have rolling wire frame carts, and keep the tool rests on one of the shelves. I do need a few more straight rests. I don't like the curved bar/support arm ones, and prefer the angled ones. May have to fabricate them myself.... The Steve Sinner ones do look interesting, but I want some more angle to them..

robo hippy

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I don't have near as many as most of you do but I put them in a holder off the side of my tail stock holder. It's to the side so I can still easily stand and turn from the end of the lathe, which I almost always do on bowls and hollowing.

Attachments

• IMG_5506.JPG
    IMG_5506.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for all the ideas. I've been keeping mine on top of a drawer unit that sits between my lathe legs, under the bedways. Has been OK even in the shavings but now I'm getting too many and they want to slide off when piled on top of one another. I thought about an edge to stop the sliding but then the shavings would be trapped too. Others' solutions give me things to consider.

I have 7 and they live in a drawer near the lathe.

I thought about an edge to stop the sliding but then the shavings would be trapped too.

Just a random thought. Drill some holes along the edge and pop in some short dowels. Voila, a fence. Every 3 inches is probably enough to keep your rests corralled and let the chips pass through.

Odie, What's in the Folgers can?

Some good ideas here and I'm sure I'll draw from them as my collection grows. So far I only have 3 that I use on a regular basis. They hang on a pegboard behind my lathe within easy reach.
Just noticed one is visible in my whatyamacallit picture on the left. The other two live just out of view to the left.

Odie, What's in the Folgers can?

Some good ideas here and I'm sure I'll draw from them as my collection grows. So far I only have 3 that I use on a regular basis. They hang on a pegboard behind my lathe within easy reach.
Just noticed one is visible in my whatyamacallit picture on the left. The other two live just out of view to the left.
That is the same question I had for Odie.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Like those French Cleats-- been using them for years but never knew they were French. I'm curious, did you use that so you could rearrange things as you go?
I love French cleats too. I use them for some things around the shop. When I move in a few years, in my next shop, the walls will be covered in a French cleating system. They are so versatile. I just don't have convenient wall space near the lathe where I am now.

odie

TOTW Team
Ya know Odie, something that comes up often in many of your shop photos is the wall space devoted to license plates. You could get a lot more turning stuff in that wall space!

What, and get rid of my license plate collection?......no way! :D

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
I believe you Odie, but can't you make up a better story? ;)
View: https://youtu.be/PWSx0bBiNIs
:D

OK, I've avoided admitting this.....but, I have this witch friend, and after appealing to her, I ended up selling my soul to the devil for the special formula in that Folgers coffee can. It's a special brew that I dip my turning tools in.....and, my tools get nothing but perfect cuts every time......just like magic!:cool:

-----odie-----

Last edited:

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
Like those French Cleats-- been using them for years but never knew they were French. I'm curious, did you use that so you could rearrange things as you go?
Tom - Mainly for the flexibility it gave me trying to store 40mm, 30mm and one inch tool rests. Partially because I’m lazy when it comes to these types of solutions and this seemed the simplest.

Back