• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tools For Christmas

I have been looking for some woodturning tools for christmas but I have been stumped on what to get. I want to get something that will make my woodturning better and more interesting. Maybe some coloring, a carver, or texturing tool but I am also open to new ideas. I do not want it to be too expensive, thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

Sorby texturing tools, kinda pricey, but versatile - have and use the large set. Diamond knurling tools - wagner or Ron Brown. Elf style rotary texture tool - I made one with this kit

and use various dremel type bits. I use it all the time.

I have made a lot of my own tools. I do a lot of hollowing and make my own insert holders (round 8.9mm carbide), using 4” hand held grinder, propane torch, wrenches to bend, drill press to drill, taps for holes - tools to make your own turning tools. Chain wheel on 4” grinder to trim blanks.

Maybe consider gifting yourself a class with another turner who does things you appreciate or would like to learn?
Indeed. Maybe not tools, but find other sorts of things to make with the tools you have. Turning often seems to be seen in terms of bowls, hollow forms, pens, and just a few other other things, and embellishing them. Perhaps instead think about books offering other sorts of ideas. Turning is a centuries-old craft --- there are hundreds of things which have been turned, usually with simple tools. In addition, there are many types of multiaxis turning, most of which require only a very limited number of simple tools (fewer than a hollowing piece). Most turning projects also tend to be based on the premise that it should consist of only one piece. Turning a number of pieces to be combined offers a wide range of further possibilities. I'm visiting my daughter, so my tuning books aren't at hand.

I want a 3 oz face shield that filters the air I breath, and is bullet proof.......while also allowing me to see inside a hollow form while hollowing.

Back