• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Totally Turning 2023

I really thought about it but as I'm in the bowl and platter phase of my woodturning I decided not to attend this year. I realize there are excellent if not world class demonstrators scheduled, I'm just not focused on specialty items yet. I'm torn as I feel it's important to support these symposiums but sometimes a weekend away from home is tricky. Enjoy the sessions and Saratoga as well. Always fun to be there.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Great meeting, wouldn't miss it. I'll be there for the weekend. It's a shame that some of the demos will be IRDs this time. Driving three hours to watch someone else's TV isn't my first choice. I'd rather see local, if perhaps less famous, demonstrators live. The general woodworking show that runs in parallel is worth the trip by itself.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I’m coming in Friday afternoon and will be at the symposium on Saturday. Never been to one of these, so not sure what to expect.
Expect to be overwhelmed. It’s a microcosm of the AAW Symposium

you can’t see all the demonstrations so make a plan
if I were interested in bowls I’d go see Glenn lucas. Heck I’m not real interested in bowls and I go watch Glenn when ever i can.
he is perhaps the best turner I’ve seen in the past 10 years.

i consider going to at least one demo that doesn’t interest me in the sense that I probably won’t make that object but I get to see techniques and learn a bit about that turner. Cindy Drozda tops this list. I don’t do anything similar to her work but she is a superb demonstrator and I have improved my finials by osmosis.

I usually use one demo session to explore the instant gallery.

have fun!

Website
www.bayberrycrafts.com
Great meeting, wouldn't miss it. I'll be there for the weekend. It's a shame that some of the demos will be IRDs this time. Driving three hours to watch someone else's TV isn't my first choice. I'd rather see local, if perhaps less famous, demonstrators live. The general woodworking show that runs in parallel is worth the trip by itself.
Agreed whole heartedly.
Actually just realized that 2 big names are going to be remote.
Still a lot to do and see...and I see old (both age and long time) friends there

Website
www.bayberrycrafts.com
Expect to be overwhelmed. It’s a microcosm of the AAW Symposium

you can’t see all the demonstrations so make a plan
if I were interested in bowls I’d go see Glenn lucas. Heck I’m not real interested in bowls and I go watch Glenn when ever i can.
he is perhaps the best turner I’ve seen in the past 10 years.

i consider going to at least one demo that doesn’t interest me in the sense that I probably won’t make that object but I get to see techniques and learn a bit about that turner. Cindy Drozda tops this list. I don’t do anything similar to her work but she is a superb demonstrator and I have improved my finials by osmosis.

I usually use one demo session to explore the instant gallery.

have fun!
Cindy and Glenn are the 2 remote demonstrators.
I'm sure the sessions will be great, but prefer to see them in-person .
See you there!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Cindy and Glenn are the 2 remote demonstrators.
I'm sure the sessions will be great, but prefer to see them in-person .
See you there!
Thanks for posting your note
i looked on the web sit to see who the demonstrators were.

do attendees get to see their demos after the symposium? Could be a bonus.

Back