• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Trever Hansen

5F851667-E276-4B62-84B7-4E76813CAB72.jpeg
index.php

Hello to everyone, so glad to be here! A little into about myself. I am an ISA Certified Arborist for the past 10 years. i just recently started turning and it literally PAINS me to think of the wood i considered garbage! T_T.

i have been turning for a little over a year now and am grateful to be part of such a welcoming and open community.

Im hoping becoming a active member within forum, however you might have to put up with some odd questions here and there, lol, as i try to piece together a new idea. But i'm hoping that i can help as well and am very open to sharing the information and experience i have learned as of yet.

thanks again and i hope to make some new friends and connections here in future :)

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Hey early riser, and welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of people here who share your passion for "garbage wood" :-D

And lots of helpful advice and friendly folks. happy turning!

Mark

Welcome from SE Texas!
Nice to see some tree expertise around.
Since I only turn woods native to Texas; Mesquite, Hackberry, Huisache (Acacia sp) to name some-- guess I'm a "garbage" turner. (Just a tongue in cheek poke)
Those species almost never disappoint with grain, colors, patterns.
You'd be surprised at the variety of species available just in my area.

Welcome from SE Texas!
Nice to see some tree expertise around.
Since I only turn woods native to Texas; Mesquite, Hackberry, Huisache (Acacia sp) to name some-- guess I'm a "garbage" turner. (Just a tongue in cheek poke)
Those species almost never disappoint with grain, colors, patterns.
You'd be surprised at the variety of species available just in my area.

great to meet you! i also usually try to turn local, that is unless im feeling that exotic itch and buy loads of feature blanks XD

Yeah here is elm (many varieties), boxelder, and poplar. And we also have a ton of super matured fruit trees. All of these massive burls (that i looked at with disgust and thinking it was full of bugs.)

Hey early riser, and welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of people here who share your passion for "garbage wood" :-D

And lots of helpful advice and friendly folks. happy turning!

Mark
nice to meet you:)

i am currently going to school and apprenticeship to become an electrician. 5:00am so 3:30 wake up! then doing trees on the weekend..... it's amazing i find time to turn..... but let's be real, there is ALWAYS a time to turn a little;)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
View attachment 33468
index.php

Hello to everyone, so glad to be here! A little into about myself. I am an ISA Certified Arborist for the past 10 years. i just recently started turning and it literally PAINS me to think of the wood i considered garbage! T_T.

i have been turning for a little over a year now and am grateful to be part of such a welcoming and open community.

Im hoping becoming a active member within forum, however you might have to put up with some odd questions here and there, lol, as i try to piece together a new idea. But i'm hoping that i can help as well and am very open to sharing the information and experience i have learned as of yet.

thanks again and i hope to make some new friends and connections here in future :)
Welcome to the forum. You are the guy that all woodturners want as a friend, an arborist!

Welcome to the forum. You are the guy that all woodturners want as a friend, an arborist!

Hahaha, for sure! But seriously i come across some great wood and have no problems sharing. So if anyone is in the SLC area, or are looking for something specific, just let me know!

Thanks to you and everyone so far has been really great, and i'm glad to be here :)

Trever,

Have you ever considered buying a portable sawmill, you could slab up a few logs each year which can bring good money for woodworkers making river tables etc.
They also make quick work of short logs processing them into turning blanks in various sizes.

Trever,

Have you ever considered buying a portable sawmill, you could slab up a few logs each year which can bring good money for woodworkers making river tables etc.
They also make quick work of short logs processing them into turning blanks in various sizes.

I actually have recently and was in the works of doing just that. i bought an alaskan chainsaw mill and slabbed a massive triple crotch cherry tree, made about $700 from the free log, but took forever and tons of work. i made about the same just cutting rounds for people in half the time from a gisnt apricot tree. Not only that, but after i started selling slabs on facebook, everyone and there dog are doing it down here now. :/

But i am right there with you on it being a profitable pursuit. unfortunatly me and epoxy have a love hate relationship atm, but that is a whole other story, haha

Trever,

Those Alaskan chainsaw mills are definitely a lot of work, a bandsaw mill speeds up the process but requires other equipment to move and load the logs.
I have been looking for a used Wood-Mizer mill at a half way decent price in my region for several years, they make really nice equipment and hold their value.
These hobbies can get out of control in a hurry if you let them.

You got a woodmizer! so jealous! during this time i was negotiating my build from the plant and everything. Also im with ya about "hobbies out of control", but do what you love and the rest will follow right? ;)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome.

your story reminded me of Rueben who owned a tree trimming business. He got into to turning when someone asked him about getting some burls. He said something like “ you mean rose ugly lumps that clog up the chipper?” and the rest is history.

Back